Sportive bikes and Racing bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

I'm sure we are all aware that there is a difference in Geometry in the two bikes (Longer head tube, shorter top tube over the racing bike) and that the sportive is aimed at a more comfortable ride over longer distances. but does this mean that pro riders use a more sportive frame over the road bike? and if not why? bearing in mind that they do more miles in the saddle than the average joe doing a sportive?

or do they have a sportive style frame when heading into the mountain stages?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Some do choose more relaxed styles. CSC use a variety of models from Cevelo, some according to the event and some just out of preference.

But you just have to wach at a good rider to see how little weight they put on the saddle. Most amateurs sit and twiddle, but even a pro at the back of the peleton is producing so much power, his arse 'hovers' over the seat rather than being slumped down on it. Hence they can ride 'all day' on a saddle with the minimum of unpadded carbon as they think that their saddles do little more than 'stop the seat tube going up yer arse on the bumps'.

monnet

Guru
I think (the top continental) pros change bikes according to the race/ terrain. So a flat Tour stage on nice roads with a likely sprint at the end will see them riding a more stretched 'race' position, whereas a more demanding (terrain-wise) route, like some of the Northern Classics demand a more 'relaxed' position and a bike that is more inclined to deal with rough road surfaces. For the mountains, I've no idea of geometry but weight becomes more important (hence the fancy wheels come out).

You only need to look at pictures of pro's to see how stretched they are (lots of flat backs). The slight aerodynamic advantage and imporved responses make it the choice of people who are paid to go fast. FWIW, i think alot is habit too. If you race you'll ride a more aggressive position. I've never raced and I've ended up with a more upright, comfortable 'sportive' position. My dad, even though he quit racing years ago, still maintains a more stretched racing style position.

yenrod

I find its difficult to find a good frame.

If you want a proper racing pos. try lowering the head not to drastic lengths - just enough to get low.

Roady bikes are notorious for L O N G headtubes and by god they are just sooo backwards to going fast....

I'm gonna go framebuilder for this very issue as I simply cannot find a frame even though my frame has a 23" TT...the HT is still 17cms :smile:

Which is pretty bad.

The seat angles about 72" and the Head angle about a 74"...

The adjustments are to be seat: 74 - Headtube - similiar and top-tube 22.5 or 23"...

Thats is unless I can find a frame similiar to this...

Anyone :evil:

RedBike

Pro riders are often a lot more flexible that mere mortals. Not everyone will find an areodynamic position comfortable, particularly when you're talking of 'all day' in the saddle

OP
OP
walker

walker

yenrod said:
Roady bikes are notorious for L O N G headtubes and by god they are just sooo backwards to going fast....

Is that right yenners? I thought it was the other way round and Sportive bikes have long headtube's?

stevenb

I believe it's rider preference. For example the Giant TCR is used by PRO's and look at the sloped downtube on them models.
I myself prefer a more flatter/racing position so I can grind down on those pedals with my body being more spread over the bike rather than sitting back and upright (which I dislike doing).
Pro riders use both types of machine to race with though. :biggrin:

Top Bottom