Sportive Campag for under 1K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pwh91

Veteran
Hi All,

I'm looking for a sportive-ready bike, but being an awkward git, I have a couple of "necessities" that cut my options down.

- Under a grand (well maybe a couple of quid more if pushed)
- Carbon frame ideally, for purely image reasons
- Campag (to keep consistency with my existing Ribble bike) compact gears, ideally with the option to choose a hill-climbing range e.g. 13-29. Yes I know I should get a triple, but that's another thread...
- Something with a big head-tube, shortish top-tube since I'm 5'10'' but with 34"" inside leg

Am I just speccing myself another Ribble special e.g Nero Corsa, or is there an alternative out there?

Ideas welcome, cheers!

GrahamG

Guru
I'm the same with the short TT - although I've even got short arms to exacerbate things. I reckon the only OTP bike that would work for me is Specialized Allez/Roubaix or the Giant Defy range, neither of which come equipped with Campag!

I had the same problem, tall with long legs...tried the defy and it actually felt really long...I would have ended up needing a medium frame despite being 6 foot, which put me in a very bum up head down position. Ended up with a trek 1.7 instead, short in the toptube, fairly high at the front. This won't help the op unfortunately, as it's neither carbon nor campaq...

OP
OP
pwh91

pwh91

Veteran
Thanks for the ideas on the off-the-peg options like Trek and Specialized Allez, looks like if I go that way I'll need to sacrifice something e.g. groupset, in which case I'll go for a triple instead of the 13-29 Campag.

One more option is to buy a separate frame and componentry, but I don't have the time....

The advantage with the Ribble setup is I can order up custom stem length, freewheel, bar width etc. I'm surprised there aren't more companies offering the same build process - again if anyone knows of a reasonably priced build-up shop I'd appreciate it.

monnet

Guru
I'm pretty sure if you ask nicely the shop would switch stem lengths, bars etc for you. I know when I bought my Specialized Allez, I specified bar width and crank length (and possibly the stem). I also have a mate who had the reverse of your situation - he wanted a Wilier but it came specced with Campag and he wanted Shimano. He had a chat with his LBS (who he was buying from) and for the cost of labour they switched it round for him.

Top Bottom