Sportive cancelled - should the cash be refunded?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
The event I entered has been cancelled tomorrow because of 'bad' weather forecast (which has annoyed me). I think I should be entitled to a refund. However, the event organiser appears to think differently.

Surely this is a simple case of paying for something that wasn't delivered?

They still would have had the costs of setting up though and perhaps there's a charity element but I would have thought there would have been some sort of token gesture :wacko:

Act of God? What's in the small print re: cancellations that you agreed to by making the booking?

They should allow you to transfer to a.n.other event they are running in the future.

Worst case scenario transfer to the same event next year and you're already paid up in full.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Act of God? What's in the small print re: cancellations that you agreed to by making the booking?

They should allow you to transfer to a.n.other event they are running in the future.

Worst case scenario transfer to the same event next year and you're already paid up in full.
The official word is the the event will be rescheduled for another weekend later in the year. However, it's not quite as simple as that. What if I can't make the new weekend, and what about all the arrangements I already made for tomorrow?
I think if these events start getting cancelled because of weather forecasts people will soon turn their backs on them.

I've heard of organiser doing similar for folk who couldn't attend for some reason.
A sportive I'm hopefully doing this summer! was moved and the organiser offered free transfer or refund to those who couldn't make the rearranged date or transfer. I guess a lot of it will depend upon who's organising it :wacko:

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
The event I entered has been cancelled tomorrow because of 'bad' weather forecast (which has annoyed me). I think I should be entitled to a refund. However, the event organiser appears to think differently.

Surely this is a simple case of paying for something that wasn't delivered?
Sales of Goods Act. Just email that to them. You are in this case entailed to a refund as what you paid for did not happen. If you paid by card claim from your bank and then have the banks press for it.
Although this is based on that you didn't sign a contract which waved this right.

Noodley

Depends on the contract. By ticking a box you may have agreed to "terms and conditions". If these terms and conditions have clealy stated "no refund" then too bad for you.

snorri

Legendary Member
I think if these events start getting cancelled because of weather forecasts people will soon turn their backs on them.
There seems to be a trend emerging of cancelling things merely on the strength of a weather forecast, buses trains, school closures, sporting events etc etc.
I have to wonder at times if it's a case of those who organise things simply seeing an opportunity for a lazy day.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Not sure which event the OP was doing but with regard to DCLane it is quite apparent that it is bad luck.

The Extract from their Event Rules page. They are certainly clever enough to cover themselves. On a slightly different I have done several of their events and tried to contact them to clarify a point after an event.
Several polite emails received no response, so I would be surprised if you were to get a response.
11) KILO TO GO reserves the right to terminate an individual's ride on health and safety grounds. Rides will only be postponed, re-routed or stopped for reasons of safety. Entry fees are not refundable. Entrants may not transfer or defer their entry. If KILO TO GO has to cancel an event as a result of hostilities, political unrest or other circumstances amounting to force majeure, it shall inform the entrants without delay and shall provide entrants an alternative ride in an event of comparable standard, if available.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I was doing the Southern Spring Classic on Sunday, which has been cancelled. As the event is run by SportivePhoto (the company who does most of the photography at sportive events), they have offered either free entry to the 2014 event or a free CD of photo's from any event you ride that they also cover (worth approx the same as the entry costs). This seems entirely fair to me. I've opted to the first choice.

They do state no refunds, but when I got knocked down by a car 3 days before last yrs event, I emailed the owner of the company and explained, he mailed me a cheque without question. Sometimes they can be reasoned with

400bhp

Guru
If you've paid by credit card, you could ask them to look into it although I wouldn't hold out much hope.

They clearly aren't covered adequately for such events in terms of insurance.

what-3000 riders at, say £25 average payment = £75k revenue.

Let's knock off, say £25k for things they cannot get out of (contracts they have that cannot be cancelled).

£50k for FA:laugh:

Peteaud

Veteran
I booked to do the Jurasic classic last year that was cancelled and i could not make the new date.

They gave a refund.

Some decent PR may not go amiss.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Risk you take by booking a sprotive in March... unlucky with the very bad weather, of course.

This. Its a gamble at this time of year. Have you seen the conditions. Its not bad in Manchester but ive just driven to north Wales. Gone from no snow to over 6 inches to a few inches in Prestatyn. There is snow in Delamere on the route and it is worse south. You wont be riding the route unless you have studded tyres and fancy 10 hours in the saddle.

Would you actually go out today on the route and do 100 miles. I think not. And with 3000 riders this would be madness.

Top Bottom