Sportive entry fees - RIP OFF !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vorsprung

Veteran
There has to be a point at which a Sportive ceases to be "good value"

But if you sit down and work out how much it costs to lay on the facilities for hundreds of riders, somewhere around 20 quid for a fully signed route with feed stations sounds about right

Audax rides are not like Sportives. My 400km last year had a start from a pub using a nearby church car park for parking. The 20 odd starters then rode through the night to the first control in Minehead where they went round my mums house and she fed them coffee and cafe from midnight to 3am. Then they were on their own to find the next control near Frome, which was a 24 hour garage. This wasn't manned by my helpers first thing in the morning.
Then there was another unmanned stop in Chepstow

Next contact we had with them was up near Gloucester somewhere. This was manned as was the 24 garage at Frome on the return leg.

There were no signs anywhere on the route, but a gps file was available and a audax route sheet. About 80% of the field got lost in the first 2 miles but the only people that were DNF had mechanical problems or bad knees

At the finish there was a BBQ at the pub, included in the entry cost.

I'd be interested to know what a sportive goer would assume this event would cost to enter

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies

But if you sit down and work out how much it costs to lay on the facilities for hundreds of riders, somewhere around 20 quid for a fully signed route with feed stations sounds about right

Audax rides are not like Sportives. My 400km last year had a start from a pub using a nearby church car park for parking. The 20 odd starters then rode through the night to the first control in Minehead where they went round my mums house and she fed them coffee and cafe from midnight to 3am. Then they were on their own to find the next control near Frome, which was a 24 hour garage. This wasn't manned by my helpers first thing in the morning.

Next contact we had with them was up near Gloucester somewhere. This was manned as was the 24 garage at Frome on the return leg.

There were no signs anywhere on the route, but a gps file was available and a audax route sheet. About 80% of the field got lost in the first 2 miles but the only people that were DNF had mechanical problems or bad knees

I'd be interested to know what a sportive goer would assume this event would cost to enter

£5 ?? Presumably if none of the helpers were paid the only outlay incurred was for the bbq and cake/coffee

jimboalee

Why do cyclists ride Sportives.

1/ To ride with other cyclists in a group. - There are less expensive Audaxes and Club runs to do this.

2/ To get the 'race' thrill. - There are cycle clubs to do this.

3/ Show off their shiney bright expensive kit.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Here in Holland, most sportives are organised by the Dutch cycling association (NTFU). Its book of events ran to 196 pages last year, listing rides all over the country starting from 40 km and ending somewhere in Uzbekistan. The rides are classified into three groups: no star (pretty basic, might be signed), one star* (signed route, food stations, broom wagon) and two stars** (as one star but with showers, fettling facilities, etc.). All rides include insurance.

The entry price for these rides (sit down and take a deep breath) is:

.........................................................*..............**
up to 100km....................1.78..........2.73...........3.59
100 - 200 km...................2.38..........3.32...........4.28
200 - 300 km...................3.59..........4.52...........5.46
200 - 400 km...................7.14..........8.07...........9.05
400 - 600 km.................10.69
600 - 1,000 km..............14.87
more than 1,000km........44.58

These are prices in euros for members of the NTFU. Non-members pay one euro extra.

gavintc

Guru
I propose that in the Netherlands the cost of event insurance is somewhat less as there is already a culture of cycling and the risks are lower. Perhaps, if UK sportives demanded that cyclists proved they had adequate insurance before riding, it might reduce the costs.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
I propose that in the Netherlands the cost of event insurance is somewhat less

Yes, the insurance comes with membership of the NTFU, which is automatic for any one in a bike club. Another cost saver is that the events are not policed. There are marshals (usually volunteers from the club organising the ride) but riding a bike is not seen as something needing policing here. (I say this because the only sportive I've ever ridden in the UK had a noticeable police presence and from what I've heard from others there usually is. I do hope someone can correct me on that.)

Garz

Squat Member
Our flat lands brethren do not have indigenous motor-vehicle drivers that not only seem to think they own the road, be in a lunetic rush or seem to be in the where there's a blame.. society pumping up insurance prices! :laugh:

The laid back culture and far more realistic pricing is the envy of the cycling tribes of the british isles. We may one day catch-up but theres no onus on the enforcement bodies to make proper gains pushing for those kind of standards. For road cyclists over here the motor vehicle is always king.

e-rider

crappy member
Our flat lands brethren do not have indigenous motor-vehicle drivers that not only seem to think they own the road, be in a lunetic rush or seem to be in the where there's a blame.. society pumping up insurance prices! :laugh:

The laid back culture and far more realistic pricing is the envy of the cycling tribes of the british isles. We may one day catch-up but theres no onus on the enforcement bodies to make proper gains pushing for those kind of standards. For road cyclists over here the motor vehicle is always king.

You have clearly never cycled on Dutch roads - the drivers are just the same. The big difference is the huge network of useable cycle routes that keep bikes and cars apart. On many normal busy roads, where there is a cycle route nearby, it isn't allowed to cycle on the road, even if you wanted to.

There was some concern a few years back that this was going to happen here - the key difference is that many UK cycle routes are not actually useable, especially for road bikes; so luckily it was put on hold for the moment, and riders still have the choice of road or cycle path.

Garz

Squat Member
You have clearly never cycled on Dutch roads - the drivers are just the same. The big difference is the huge network of useable cycle routes that keep bikes and cars apart. On many normal busy roads, where there is a cycle route nearby, it isn't allowed to cycle on the road, even if you wanted to.

Err.. so they have a choice and a good dedicated route available. So that would be a better system than ours then?
rolleyes.gif

frank9755

Cyclist

They most likely wouldn't have a clue and wouldn't be interested!

I've just come back from a 200km audax and have done events a bit like that, and enjoyed all the quirks, but I think some people want everything done for them. I think the appeal of sportives is that, while the hills might be tough, in every other respect, they are easy. You don't have to be a member of a club, don't need to worry about insurance, you don't have to be able to read a map or follow a route sheet, or carry food, there's a pretty web site with lots of pictures, you can enter on line, they're not too long, etc, etc.

Nevertheless, the comparison with Dutch entry prices is very interesting! I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that they are established events in the Dutch cycling world, whereas UK-style sportives are a new thing targeting a new customer segment. That probably explains why the UK operators have been able to price up.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
frank9755 - could you try that again but this time be a bit more ignorant and patronising?
whistling.gif

Seriously, it really beats me why some people feel the need to big up what they do at the expense of what others enjoy.

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
You don't have to be a member of a club, don't need to worry about insurance, you don't have to be able to read a map or follow a route sheet, or carry food, there's a pretty web site with lots of pictures, you can enter on line, they're not too long, etc, etc.

Just like to correct you on a few points above, I think you may have gained the wrong impression on entering audaxes:

- Anyone can enter irrespective of whether they are members of any clubs.
- Insurance is taken care of by the organiser if you are not already affiliated to BC / CTC or AUK.
- True you don't have to worry about a route sheet, that is a clear advantage of sportives. More audax organisers now provide GPX downloads which is a positive move.
- Food is usually available at the controls but is not always free as in the case of sportives. For riders in a hurry, where a cafe control on audax is used is always convenient.
- Websites. Too few audaxes do provide websites but a small number do, see mine for example, http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/
- The distance point is an interesting one. Audax UK was established for the sole purpose of arranging long distance and accredited endurance events. However you would wrong to suggest that they are all to long. A glance at the AUK calendar will show that many are less than the minimum randonee distance of 200km. For example, the Snowdrop and Sunrise Express is only 123km long.

lukesdad

I think the main difference you will find between an Audax and a Sportive are the type of people that enter them.

Garz

Squat Member
I think the main difference you will find between an Audax and a Sportive are the type of people that enter them.

Yes and No.

Yes because people get used to doing their preference and maybe begin the divide of us and them.

No because I think you get idiots in both, some sportive riders I have found to be ignorant or don't want to communicate, the same goes for audax riders which is what brings them back to being so similar.

lukesdad

Yes and No.

Yes because people get used to doing their preference and maybe begin the divide of us and them.

No because I think you get idiots in both, some sportive riders I have found to be ignorant or don't want to communicate, the same goes for audax riders which is what brings them back to being so similar.
I was thinking more Flat caps and Racing Lycra. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom