Sportive Gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugbyluke

Hi All,

I have always had a fixed commuter/local ride, and a geared sportive/ride out with friends bike.

After doing the new forest 100 last October and remembering the aggravation of losing momentum up hills, mechanical faults, chain coming off, chain jumping & skipping, irritating noises etc etc.

I have decided to build a single speed sportive bike, I've opted for single speed as a need to coast down hill. (After trying a single speed I didn't notice this "Freewheel affect" thing".

Just need some advice on Gearing, was thinking 48x16? what do you all think on gearing?

screenman

Legendary Member
Would it be better to learn how to set gears up properly. I have never suffered any of the things you write about there.

Do not get me wrong, I do like a fixie.

OP
OP
rugbyluke

rugbyluke

this is true, most of it can be sorted, however the loss of momentum cannot, I can also build a beautiful bike for a 1/3 of the price

Fixies work. Go for the biggest chain ring and smallest sprocket you can get away with, with the chain you have. Then use your legs. 48/16 is very acceptable.

screenman

Legendary Member
Loss of momentum from something more efficient, how do you work that out.

Being cheaper I get, being simple I get, losing momentum due to gears, nope not that one.

OP
OP
rugbyluke

rugbyluke

That's most of the reasons why I want to build the bike. The momentum thing I could of worded better, how can I put this..............I go uphill faster on a single speed/fixed. But lets drop that one before I have a bigger fool out of my self :blink:.:surrender:

Anyway, what gearing would you recommend for something like New forest 100

Sharky

Guru
There is something special about single speed (freewheel) bikes. Something that defies logical thinking. On a single, when you start going up, you just gradually increase the power effort and maintain pace. On a gears bike, you change down, slow down, change down etc. there are of course limits, too steep and you stall and even have to get off. So you have to find the right gear on which you can just get up the steepest hill on your normal routes. Also depends on your strength and technique.

It's impossible to recommend a specific ratio, as we are all different. I'm old and find a 44 x17 just about right. The illogical thing about my Single speed bike is that I can get round my normal circuit on a Sunday morning achieving the same or better average speed that I do on my gears bike!

Cheers Keith

andyfraser

Über Member
That's most of the reasons why I want to build the bike. The momentum thing I could of worded better, how can I put this..............I go uphill faster on a single speed/fixed. But lets drop that one before I have a bigger fool out of my self :blink:.:surrender:
I think I get what you're saying. I'm planning to buy a single speed bike and as an experiment I picked a gear similar to 44x18 and stayed in it. My top speed went down but my average speed went up, including going up hill.

OP
OP
rugbyluke

rugbyluke

Thanks Keith, spot on :cheers:

Ive always been more of a "Gear masher" than a "spinner" I guess its trial and error. my commuter is 53X14 but in the 14miles each way I climb 43ft :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fixed is best for fitness. Blooming fantastic really. I can climb moderate hills just as quick on a laden fixed compared to a geared road bike with no loads. It's probably down to you have no gears to grab for so keep pedalling.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Having played around with a few combinations over the years 47 x 18 fixed is my gear of choice at the moment and I am more of a grinder than a spinner.

Top Bottom