Sportive "races"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Just read about some bird called Susan Hall on page 22 of December issue of Cycling Active. Apparently she's an award winning hairstylist and cyclist.

She said in the article that she entered the Northern Rock Sportive in Northumberland and was "eighth fastest female out of 270 as well as being faster than most of the men in the race"

Ok so she's a big-head that thinks a sportive is a race and she gets pleasure out of thinking she's faster than other people who quite possibly weren't racing. But why wouldn't Cycling Active recognize this faux pas and either put her straight or leave it out.

Women and Cycling mags.....You can't trust them
whistling.gif

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Just read about some tit on cyclechat. He's got a bee in his misogynistic (ask a woman to look it up for you, there's a dear) bonnet about the difference between racing and cycling quickly and is making himself look a prannock.

yello

I hope that's your misguided attempt at some kind of ironic humour brokenflipflop. Some pretty questionable attitudes there which ever way you spin it.

OP
OP
B

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Just read about some tit on cyclechat. He's got a bee in his misogynistic (ask a woman to look it up for you, there's a dear) bonnet about the difference between racing and cycling quickly and is making himself look a prannock.

OOh bitchy. Split-arse for sure ?

OP
OP
B

brokenflipflop

Veteran
When I enter a sportive, my aim is to enjoy the ride but also its a challenge to get round the course as fast as i can.

Really? I've been mis-informed. I didn't think speed, quick, racing, placings etc were the name of the game.

Always learning.

I forgot spare rib ticklers don't like the phrase birds. I'm sorry, I come from a place up north and mix with the wrong sort.

I'm working on it.
smile.gif

400bhp

Guru
I think if people genuinely think it's a race then these sorts of events on open roads will soon disappear.

They won't be able to get insurance.

OP
OP
B

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Blimey! Haven't heard that phrase for a while :biggrin:

I play team squash and in the league we play in is almost exclusively blokes. Very occasionally the other team has a female in their team. No-one wants to play the girl - if they do, and lose, they're walking home and will have the piss taken out of them forever.

Invariably these ladies are very competitive and in squash you may know about lets and strokes etc and the ladies really do push the boundaries of fair play. The aim when you play them is to beat them, but do it "nicely". In the 5 years I've been playing competitively I've only played a girl once - I won thank God but it's customary for the loser to buy the winner a drink. Anyway, she was in her early 20's and a big shot in regional female squash circles - didn't take kindly to being whipped by a middle aged crap squash keep fit fanatic and my tactic of keeping the rallies going forever pissed her right off. She saw her arse and buzzed off without getting me a drink ( but I did get a lift home
smile.gif
)

The other old farts on my team refer to all women as split-arses. It's not a nice phrase really is it, but we must try and keep the old language alive to fend off this patwa thing that's creeping up north. Innit !

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Yeah, I heard that phrase when I was an apprentice nearly 30 yrs ago :wacko:

Another choice one, which was a metaphor for hands, was "c**t hooks", as in "get your c**t hooks on this"!:biggrin:

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Really? I've been mis-informed. I didn't think speed, quick, racing, placings etc were the name of the game.

Always learning.

I forgot spare rib ticklers don't like the phrase birds. I'm sorry, I come from a place up north and mix with the wrong sort.

I'm working on it.
smile.gif

I enter sportivs and compete against myself. My aim is to get around as quick as I possibly can. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of riders were trying to do the same.

Posted 2nd quickest in the Twinnings Sailsbury 100 but it's not a race. Still I was chuffed to nuts with what I achieved
thumbsup.png

Top Bottom