Sportives are non-competitive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
...According to @Shaun and the sticky of this forum.

Yet the ridelondon small print states:

I declare that I will abide by the Laws and Rules for competition of British Cycling, that I will be 18 years or over on 30 July 2017, that I will compete by human powered cycle and ...

Maybe I'm not the first to notice this but still...

Reactions: mjr

goody

Veteran
Neither is the sprint from the lights over Putney Bridge.
But I have won it on numerous occassions.

U

User482

Actually, some sportives are officially competitive.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It being small print it's likely to have been written with legal stuff in mind.

It it looks like there are things in the Laws and Rules of Competition for British Cycling that they want you to comply with. Have a look in there and see what you find.

I think you probably are the only person to notice this.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It it looks like there are things in the Laws and Rules of Competition for British Cycling that they want you to comply with. Have a look in there and see what you find.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/z...r_General_Road_Track_and_Roller_Racing_v2.pdf and it's probably covered by section 7.13 which is non-member events on closed roads. I'm pretty sure that many Ride London charity riders broke the rule on not displaying advertising on their clothing and I didn't notice any riders being taken away for drug tests - did you?

U

User482

Which? I thought "Gran Fondos" aka UWCT were the competitive sportive-like events.
"Gran Fondo" and "sportive" are often used interchangeably. Anyway, La Marmotte is certainly competitive. It's a bit of a joke actually: the 2014 winner is an ex-pro who was banned for doping.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"Gran Fondo" and "sportive" are often used interchangeably. Anyway, La Marmotte is certainly competitive. It's a bit of a joke actually: the 2014 winner is an ex-pro who was banned for doping.
That'll be one of "Marmotte Gran Fondo Series"? People (even organisers) calling shoot by the wrong names doesn't make them the same, although it does make it confusing... but then, "British Cycling" have an interest in confusing everyone so they think all cycling is a type of racing and so all cyclists should pay a membership fee to the national sport-cycling body.

U

User482

That'll be one of "Marmotte Gran Fondo Series"? People (even organisers) calling shoot by the wrong names doesn't make them the same, although it does make it confusing... but then, "British Cycling" have an interest in confusing everyone so they think all cycling is a type of racing and so all cyclists should pay a membership fee to the national sport-cycling body.

Whereas the Etape du Tour is branded as a sportive and is also competitive. Which was my point: the names are used interchangeably.

U

User482

And my point was that they shouldn't be and organisers using "sportive" for competitive events should be discouraged.
Given that the Etape has been running since 1993, I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Britain has a peculiar history of racing and massed start cycling events, with road racing being banned not by law, but by cycling organisations like the NCU, and weird secretive time trials and so forth*.

I wonder if this history in some way affects our attitudes to sportive events. And a tendency to jump on things like a single word in the small print that has a kind of "racy" flavour.

In France, I wonder, are they so bothered about the distinction?

I'm not suggesting the distinction is not important. I happily enter the odd sportive here and there but I wouldn't go near a race. I just wonder whether our history has anything to do with our fascination with it.

* Note - I accept that my one sentence summation of peculiar British cycling history may well be a bit inaccurate. I'm an idiot. Give me a break.

And my point was that they shouldn't be and organisers using "sportive" for competitive events should be discouraged.

So in all these events are you saying we should all just wobble around at 12mph in a big group clogging up the roads then?:rolleyes:;).

Actually I'm tempted to try an Audax for something different;one near me in Mildenhall soon too.

Top Bottom