Sportives - Where do I start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bugner

Hi, would be grateful on info about sportives. In my 20's I used to run half marathons and a couple of marathons and enjoyed the events, Now in my 30's. and been cycling to work now for 6+ months, getting fitter again and looking for a personal challenge.

But with regards to Sportives I am a complete green bean, don't know where to start?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Hugo15

Über Member
A good source of info can be found over here http://www.cyclosport.org/

Most of the entries for the big rides open in December or January. Some sell out in days (Fred Witton, Etape du Dales) where as others take a bit longer or don't sell out at all.

PaulB

Legendary Member
My background is the same as yours and I can honestly say that the first one I ever did (the brilliant White Rose in ... well, Yorkshire obviously) had me well and truly hooked and I've never looked back. I thought the whole thing was outstandingly organised and much better than most of the running races I ever took part in. Try it, you will love it.

domtyler

Über Member
I suggest you start by entering an event that looks like fun to you. Preparing for it and then doing it. The information you need will come naturally.

OP
OP
Bugner

Bugner

can anybody reccommend a friendly event? One of the reasons I liked the half marathons was the camaraderie and the atmosphere. Notice some of the sportives have 300 entrant limits, a little different to a few thousand runners.

Are there events that are known as good for newbies, don't want to be a burden on organisers/marshalls, if I am plodding around hours after the other 299 have finished?

Hugo15

Über Member
Would recommend the White Rose Classic too, as well as the Richmond Cyclosportives. Both these events have 50ish, 80ish and 100ish mile options. Might be worth doing one of the lower distances for your first ride to enable you to enjoy the event and see what they are like without being on the rivet for the whole day.

Jaded

Go for an Audax then. Less pressured than a Sportive.

(oh, and as no one else has said, you start at the start line :biggrin: )

StHuck

Veteran
Forgive my brutal ignorance - but what's the format of a Sportive and also whats an Audax?

Ta

Top Bottom