sportives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The dragon will still attract 5000 entries so it will probably keep getting dearer until they cant sell it out.

Noodley

Dragon Sportive is demanding an eyewatering £45 or £55 for a guaranteed place.As long as people keep paying it they will keep charging it.

And to think that they could enter 5 races for that amount of money. Nobbers :boxing:

aces_up1504

There are appears to be a great deal of snobbery towards these sportives.

To some people 30 or 60 miles may be a long way and the sportive gives them chance to be part of something that helps get to that distance.

Why pay £30 /40 pounds to run the London marathon when you could run the course any time you want for nothing? Or know you can run the distance with out any problems.

It appears to me sportives give people a reason to try and reach a distance for the first time or enjoy riding as part of large group.

I don't see any harm in spending £20 in that

Hip Priest

Veteran
I think it's good that many Sportives offer a shorter 35 mile route. It allows non-serious cyclists an opportunity to enter and event and maybe catch the bug. I do 100k and 100 mile rides now, but 18 months ago 35 miles was a big challenge.

lukesdad

A good sportive is an excelent target for someone who doesn't want to race to set themselves.

Chris.IOW

Please tell me why I'm a "nobber" for spending money on entry fees? I earn this money and can do with it what I like, I choose to spend some of it on entering events which allow me to ride in parts of the country I don't know without worrying about the route to take or what happens if I have a major mechanical I can't fix when I'm miles way from anyone I know, that sort of reassurance is worth £55 in my book. I'm sure lots of people do things with their money that I don't understand (Like spending £1000's on new components to shed half a kg of weight from their bike when they would be far better spending the money on Gym memberships to Lose 20kg) but that's not a reason to call someone names, just because you don't understand something is not a reason to be threatened by it.

For the OP look at the Evans Ride it events, they run them all over the country and normally have shorter events of around 35 miles. My first ever ride was a Evans Ride It my sister persuaded me to enter, 35 miles round Woking and it was enough to get me hooked on Cycling and Sportives.

Top Bottom