"Sports" bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jimboalee

Are you Christine667 ? :sad:

Looks like a Ladies Upright to me. :rofl:

The challenge is on !!! :smile:

Chris667 is going to fund the flight tickets and hotel accomodation to send me to Texas to compete against Lance Armstrong, :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
BTW, there will be an 'appearance fee' to pay Lance. Also, It will cost £50 each way to send your '48 Raleigh Sports to Dallas.

I'm up for it.... Get your cheque book out.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

Oh, by the way.

I've already met and spoke to Lance Armstrong.

1998. Kiltearnan Country Club, Co Dublin.

Nice chap. Been a fan ever since. He wouldn't remember me though. I was a bike race fan staying in the same hotel.

Maybe that could happen again ????

Randochap

Senior hunter
jimboalee said:
"Audax" bikes are a fairly recent development.

Fail!

Why am I not surprised though? As they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

First, what you refer to in UK as an "audax bike" has been around since the earliest days of the safety bicycle, neccessity being the mother of invention, or perhaps in this case invention sprang more from good sense over blind convention -- a lesson that might be of use here as well.

In the same way that fools rush in to buy the latest "racing"-style bikes today, convinced by manufacturers and their own vanity that they can be "just like Lance," so it was just after the turn of the 20th century, when the public were sold "Tour de France" bikes ... with fixed gears, even though they were inappropriate for the use most tried to put them to.

Enter the touriste-routiers, led by Paul de Vivie (AKA Velocio) -- inventor of the derailleur.

Though TdF organizer Henry Desgrange resisted the derailleur, writing a barrage of anti-gear diatribes in the newspaper L'Auto-Vélo, common sense eventually prevailed, of course, multi-geared bikes were adopted, and the practice of changing whole bikes at the base of climbs was abandoned.

The 1930s saw a boom in "technical trials" or concourse de machines, all over Europe. These tests graded on weight -- bicycles as light as 20 lbs were common -- durability and function. They were run on very difficult courses, including plenty of cobbles and unpaved roads. Participants included builders like Cycles Mignon, Reyhand, Alex Singer and Dujardin.

So, not only is jimboalee's thesis wrong right from the very first premise, undaunted, it continues to expand through a series of subtexts based on incomplete knowledge and the exploitation of meaningless subcategories to try to make a point that is in itself pointless.

It is meaningless as well to exclude machines from his imaginary "road" category by an arbitrary weight point ... that he alone has mandated. Or is there some international governing body you belong to jimboalee -- maybe that one based in California you are fond of quoting?

In the relatively contemporary era that I belong to, randonneurs did indeed press a variety of road bikes into service to ride brevets. For instance, as a bicycle shop employee at the time, I helped the first Canadians to go to PBP prepare and modify their bikes, in 1979. Those bikes can be seen here (riders at front right). They were the kind of road bikes commonly available in those days, but wouldn't meet jimboalee's criteria as a "road bike." Lord knows what they were then!

By jimboalee's silly nit-picking among modern bicycle nomenclature, the incredible randonneuses of the thirties would be mountain bikes, because they were built to handle the mountain roads of the 1930's ... which were for the most part unpaved!

BTW. jimbo, you also don't know the meaning of "grumpy old git.":laugh: History lessons happily provided.

In the meantime, anyone interested in a properly documented history of road bikes and randonneurring (audax) can find one at the link below.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

"The randonneur bicycle itself, is often a blend of club racer and sport tourer, with emphasis on comfort and appropriate gearing for long distances. No topic is likely to stir more debate among randos than what constitutes the perfect rando bike."

From 'What is randonneuring?' by Raymond Parker. Cited by Randochap. One of the same person, I dare guess. B)

This is Exactly what I'm saying. :wacko: Not a full racer, and not a 'sport tourer'. Note the 'SPORT tourer' here.

When was the first occasion you ( collective ) saw a bike in the shop with "Audax" waterslide transfered on the frame?
This is the 'recent development' of which I speak.

That's enough of that.

Seriously now,
Is your Pear Tree Lane off the Cannock Road, leading to Blackhalve Lane? If it is, I've ridden past it several times between the Fitness First gym in Wolverhampton and the Fitness First gym on the A5 at Cannock.

Randochap

Senior hunter
jimboalee said:
No topic is likely to stir more debate among randos than what constitutes the perfect rando bike."

From 'What is randonneuring?' by Raymond Parker. Cited by Randochap. One of the same person, I dare guess. B)

Thanks for quoting my words of wisdom, jimboalee, however selectively. Visitors who spend any time at my site however will see that I own a range of bikes, including a reproduction classic randonneuse. It weighs 30lbs with racks and handlebar bag -- well outside your weight restriction for "road bikes" -- and its (650b) tyres measure 42mm in width. What kind of bike is this?

This is Exactly what I'm saying. xx( Not a full racer, and not a 'sport tourer'. Note the 'SPORT tourer' here.

But is it a road bike? My lightest "audax/randonneur" "sport tourer" weighs around 20lbs rigged for an event. Is it a "road bike?"

When was the first occasion you ( collective ) saw a bike in the shop with "Audax" waterslide transfered on the frame? This is the 'recent development' of which I speak.

I've never seen anything with "audax" on it here. But, seriously, this wasn't the point I was arguing, but rather your restriction on the "road bike" definition, which IMHO makes no sense.

That's enough of that.

OK, can we start something else?:wacko:

Seriously now,
We have to be serious?

Is your Pear Tree Lane off the Cannock Road, leading to Blackhalve Lane? If it is, I've ridden past it several times between the Fitness First gym in Wolverhampton and the Fitness First gym on the A5 at Cannock.

Yes, it is. It was rather tarted up the last time I saw it .. and, sadly, the big tree had been felled. I was born and raised in Wednesfield. It's where I was steeped in the obstreperousness that is the foundation my grumpy old gitness.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

Thanks for taking me with mirth, as that's what this thread is, a light hearted veiw of the way bike names have changed, and even differ from region to region.

Here's my train of thought. Argue if you wish.:birthday:

In my childhood days, a 'Road' bike was what the pros rode on the major tours and one day events. My LBS owner would refer to a lesser expensive bike as "A little more sporting". - [than a serious competative machine].

Not intending to be argumentative, I have a BSA 20 Ladies ( I prefer it to be classed as 'Unisex' :laugh: ) Shopping bike. I ride it on the road, so is it a 'Road' bike? I wouldn't call it a Road bike. Its a shopper; and when I refer to my BSA to my clubmates, I call it "my shopper". If I called it "my BSA Road bike", they would get the wrong picture in their mind's eye.
10/10 for the obvious :ohmy:

I don't call my Dawes Giro 500 a Road bike. I refer to it as "My Audax bike", ( Although it's a 'Sports racer' I use it for Randos ) so my clubmates can visualize a bike with full mudguards and low gearing. Dawes say:-
"The 500 would make a great training bike or entry level racer for all enthusiasts." Its in the catagory labelled 'Road' for commercial purposes to guide the Enthusiast quickly to that menu on the website. :smile:

I don't call my Halfords County a Road bike. This is "My Gent's Three speed". Dawes call these "Heritage Bikes".

I had a Dawes Galaxy. Yes, I rode it on the road, but it was "My tourer".

I do refer to my Pug as a Road bike. It could have been ridden in a competative race without shame.

My Specialized SWorks alu is a Road bike. It could be used in a Cat1 race again.

My son rides my old Moulton Mini on the road. No way on God's Earth would anyone in there right mind call that a Road bike. :laugh:
I have seen the Moulton Mini labelled as a "Playground bike" :biggrin:

Then there are the Specialized Allez and Trek 1.2.
They would have been described as "a little more sporting" by my LBS owner. My veiw only, I expect, is I would call them "Sports racers".:wacko:

Then there is everything between the Allez and the Tarmac Saxobank.
I know what my LBS would have said, but it would be reasonable to judge these on their capability in a race, Cat4 through Cat1.
According to Dawes Cycles, they would be "great training bikes" :wacko::biggrin:

So, what bikes have you folks?

ps. Keep it jolly.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I think I may have a hetrosexual man crush on Rando!:laugh:

I have a Specialized Allez Elite and its errr.... just my bike.

I bought from a local bike shop and I ride it on the road (mainly because I love it and if I road it down a mountain I may break it and I dont want that to happen).:birthday:

I dont do races on it, I ride at weekends because I love riding it, I commute 18 miles each way on it and I sometimes go out with my son and average 6.5-7mph (not very sports racer ish I know but he is 8).

Does the use of a bike once you buy it change its name?

Top Bottom