"Sports" bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Following on from another thread, I have come across some up-to-date terminology.

What I once was told was a 'flat bar road bike' is now a 'Sports Hybrid'.

Sounds like the real Road bike fans objected to the association of 'flat bar' and 'Road' in the same sentance.

I personally object to any bike which is not specifically designed for 'ALL OUT' Elite and pro racing being called a 'Road' bike.

'Sports Hybrid'... That's much better. ;)

'Sports' bike... Anything over 7.5 kg. :biggrin:

montage

God Almighty
so unless you spend £3000, it isnt a road bike?

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

Probably more like £5500.

The big manufacturers who supply the Pro teams will market a bike ( or two ) that are directly comparable to the 'Team Issue' bike. eg, Spesh Tarmac SaxoBank.

All the lesser models are mass produced to satisfy the 'Wannabe' riders who also buy the replica clothing. These are 'Sports' bikes because the manufacturers don't expect them to be seen in a Cat1, Elite or Pro races.

My Pug 531 is fitted with the same componentry the Peugeot Team Issue bike was in its day. Proudly, I can call it a 'Road' Bike. In 1975, it cost £580, when a 'Sports' bike cost £79.99.

My Spesh SWorks allu is a second-hander, but it's previous owner rode it in Cat1. It's 7.3 kg. 'Road' bike ?

My club teammates ride Sunday runs on Giant, Trek and Spesh that cost £2000. They don't race these bikes. They're too heavy so are consigned to the 'sports' outing.

montage

God Almighty
jimboalee said:
All the lesser models are mass produced to satisfy the 'Wannabe' riders who also buy the replica clothing. These are 'Sports' bikes because the manufacturers don't expect them to be seen in a Cat1, Elite or Pro races.

Wannabe riders? Or riders that can't afford £5500...

Its rediculas how expensive these bikes are when you think them cost pennies to make (pennies compared to £5500)

Chrisz

Über Member
MacBludgeon said:
If it goes on the road it's a road bike, anything else is only a question of speed, comfort and bling(sorry style)........end of:biggrin:

Exactly :smile: Road bikes go on the road, MTBs go on mud (and the road outside Mac Ds).

Otherwise, an MTB could be classed as a road bike because it costs lots or could be a race bike because it's used for competition!!

Road = smooth tyres

Off-road/MTB = bumpy tyres

KISS!! :biggrin:

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

"Audax" bikes are a fairly recent development.
At the conception of AUK, rules required all bikes to have full mudguards. This rule has been relaxed to be 'at the organiser's discretion'.

Most Audax riders used Touring bikes. Some decided they would ride Audax rides close to the maximum permissable speed, so installed Salmon Profile guards on their lightweights. Not bikes in the sense of 'road racing' bikes, but bikes similar to road bikes with heavier and more robust rims and larger tyres. They needed more clearance than full blooded tight Road frames for the mudguards rule.

When I joined AUK, my number was 1100 and something. After a few years away, I rejoind and my number is 6300 and something.
Many clubs organise Randos now, but 15 years ago, AUK members and CTC districts organised Randos.

Bike builders saw this popularity as an opportunity to 'cash in'. Special bikes were designed with mudguards and low gearing. ie the 'Audax' bike. Perfectly usable but not a true Road bike and not a true Tourer.

To say 'every bike that can be ridden on the road is a 'Road' bike' is a unmissable blooper.
Back in the day, a 'Road' bike was a balls-out racing bike, a 'Tourer' was as it says; and all inbetween was a 'sports' bike with the suffix of 'tourer' or 'racer'.
The sports bike was aimed at those who didn't race or hadn't the lolly to spend on a Road bike. It was likely to be cheaply built and attracted a good return for the shop and manufacturer. It was a huge market. As has been said, they gained the reputation of being a 'pile of shoot' so the 'sports' prefix was dropped to maintain sales.

Nowadays, there are so many different types and styles that these terms have faded into history. Shops label 'Sports' bikes as 'Road' bikes to sell them to non racers who like the thrill of crouching over the drops on a 45 mph downhill.

Then there was MTBs. Off-roaders, pure and simple. A great ride up and quickly down a forest track, brushing treetrunks and jumping ravines.
Very low gears.
Some cyclists had both a sports bike and a MTB. Then they wished the two were combined, and thus was born the Hybrid. Hybrid? What a dull name. What else could it be called. Town and Country??

And then Lance Armstrong happened. Trek and Spesh didn't start up by building Road bikes, they caught the MTB boom in California.
With Lance's success, the low cost 'Racer' was in demand so Trek and Spesh ( and Shimano ) reacted, and that's where we are now. Roadracing faxsimile bikes that don't cost the earth and can be entered in a Cat4 or Cat3 with confidence.

Grumpy old gits like me see tham as Sports bikes that have improved enormously since the seventies. They have Road bike geometry and look like Road bikes from the pavement as they roll past. Some have tripple chainsets and a 28 tooth large sprocket, what would only have been seen on a Tourer.

So what do we call them?
If you go in a decent LBS and ask for a Road bike, he will lead you to the £4000 + balls out Race bikes.
"Entry level racer"? "Intermediate roadrace bike"?

Wigsie

Nincompoop
MacBludgeon said:
If it goes on the road it's a road bike, anything else is only a question of speed, comfort and bling(sorry style)........end of:biggrin:

+1 its designed for riding on the road therefore its a road bike... there can be no more to say surely?

If anything you could argue that you should change the name of the high end machines, these are not really day to day road bikes are they? Surely they should be renamed? Micheal Schumacer didnt drive a ferrari road car in Formula 1, it was a race car! Likewise i would argue that the bikes Lance Armstrong and the like ride are not really road bikes, they are finely tuned race machines designed for one person do do one job.

Ok that was one more thing....

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It strikes me that there is a HUGH amount of snobbery to do with bikes with drop handle bars and the bike manufactures (or rather their sales departments) exploit it for all they can get out of it...

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

Yes there is a lot of snobbery. :rofl:

Every time I go to California and show my photos of AUK Audax rides, there is one crowd who say "How can you Brits ride such junk?", and another crowd who say "Sensible to leave your Road bikes at home in such lousey weather".

:sad::laugh:

Sports bike?
This is my 1948 Raleigh Sports, all up weight of about 40lbs!:sad:
IMG_0311.jpg

A bit heavier than a modern Cat1 bike - very few of those have a built in lock, dynamo hub or chaincase.
Seriously, all of these labels are rubbish. If Lance were riding this and you were riding his Trek, he'd still wipe the floor with you.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Hairy Jock said:
It strikes me that there is a HUGH amount of snobbery to do with bikes with drop handle bars and the bike manufactures (or rather their sales departments) exploit it for all they can get out of it...

+1 just didnt want to offend anyone!

ha ha

Although in defense of the South Kent LBS's I have come across no such snobbery, they all seem to look at the £4k + bikes with the same schoolboy admiration as I do. I found it was the 'all the gear, no idea' customers that add the snobbery! Same as any sport you get them on the golf course, shooting clubs and those div's that play sunday league football with £200 beckham replica boots!

jimboalee said:
If you go in a decent LBS and ask for a Road bike, he will lead you to the £4000 + balls out Race bikes.

I think that's the bit that's changed. All the other stuff you say fits under different sub-categories of Road as opposed to Hybrid or mtn bike

Top Bottom