Thoughts on Planet X bikes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had a planet X RT58 11 speed ultegra derailleurs front and back Campag wheels which I bought way back in 2014 as they must have been doing a stock clearance. I've done probably at least 1.000 miles roughly on it. I can't fault it except that the paint sprayed on it was a bit thin on the supports for the rear wheels ( probaby could do with a respray). Other than that I can't fault it as it's still going strong, if and when get another bike it will be without a doubt a Planet X.

Another happy Tempest owner checking in - proper do-it-all bike, a really nicely put together ti frame and frankly a bit of a bargain.

Attachments

• 69EFCC78-CE2D-454E-BCBD-E4A2EEA2F13B.jpeg
    69EFCC78-CE2D-454E-BCBD-E4A2EEA2F13B.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 24

Jude W

Hi All,

What is your thoughts on a Planet X bikes ? Seems to be cheap for the good specs. Even Titanium is under 2000£.
Must be a low quality frames ?
Cheers

I think they mostly buy open mould frames so don't have the costs of the R&D or marketing built into the cost of the bike.

I have owned carbon and titanium bikes from Planet X and On-One and they have all been of a good quality.

honeybadger

Bit of a thread resurrection so apologies. It’s just that I did a Google search, this popped up so thought because it’s kinda relevant I’d carry this on instead.
My old winter/commuter bike is looking very tired despite my best efforts of treating it like Triggers broom so I’m in the need for a new one.
After looking at various makes the plant x Hurricane has come into my radar. It ticks all the boxes of what I’m looking for in a winter bike, disc brakes, mudguard mounts and a bit of a halfway house geometry wise. Not a full on race bike (like my cannondale 2015 Supersix) but not a full on relaxed endurance bike either. It’s also Titanium and I’ve always fancied owning a bike made out of this material.
Has anyone off here had one of these models and their thoughts ? There seems to be very little out there regarding reviews. There is Guy Kesteven’s on his you tube channel but little else.
It’ll be used for a short commute and 2hr training rides during the week and long (6hr plus) at weekends.

Well after work dragging their heels unbelievably (C2W) the 2nd week in January I finally got the Hurricane !
After tweeking the fit and a couple of upgrades/changes I’m pretty happy how it is now (although if a lighter seat post, stem and handlebars become available I might take a punt ^_^)
Changes/upgrades :
Wheels and tyres
Swapped out the wired clincher tyres to 28mm Hutchinson tubeless
The standard wheels were also quite heavy so after looking at reviews I settled on the scribe alloy disc wheelset.
With just these two changes I saved over 500g of rotating weight. Did my first ride on them today and definitely felt they spun up quicker than the old set up.
Different crankset.
I run the same stages power meter on all my bikes so needed a 175mm crankset for the Hurricane (it’s supplied with a 172.5 and Planet X wouldn’t swap it out) As luck would have it I saw a brand new 175mm crankset on eBay that in his description said was to long for him. I msg him and asked if he would be interested in a swap and agreed ^_^ Even better was he lived less than 30miles away, happy days:okay:
Mudguards
Because it’s going to be primary my winter bike I fitted some Kinesis Fend Off mudguards and I’m very happy with them. It says a lot when if I’m out on a group ride and the roads are wet everyone wants to be on my wheel :bicycle:
To complement the build my grown up son ordered at top cap for me, I’m making no apologies for what it says, it suits my personality ^_^
How does it ride ?
Very, very smoothly. Don’t know if it’s the frame, 28mm tyres at 70psi or both but it’s much nicer to ride than my Aluminium Sensa that I used previously. Not quite as good as my (very high spec) 2015 Hi mod Cannondale but not far off. It is stealthy quiet though, proper mudguard mounts with those Kinesis make a world off difference, no rattling at all.
Running sram shifters and derailleurs for the first time on a roadbike. Bit of a mixed bag really, took little time to get used to them, the rear mech is kinda clunky but in a good way. Very positive shifting up or down the block. Not quite as enamoured about the front though, it changes fine going either way on the rings but compared to my Dura Ace 9000 on my Cannondale the lever is very, very stiff. In fact one cold ride I was struggling to change from the inner to the big ring.
Also on disc brakes for the first time and although it’s still early days have to say I don’t feel they’re any better than my DA callipers and carbon rims on the Cannondale, even in the wet. I might change my mind though after a few more rides.

Attachments

• E9255FC8-C593-4DC2-9D06-8D411AE58E62.jpeg
    E9255FC8-C593-4DC2-9D06-8D411AE58E62.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 406A900B-C309-4E79-A148-A9F5BCC5771F.jpeg
    406A900B-C309-4E79-A148-A9F5BCC5771F.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Well after work dragging their heels unbelievably (C2W) the 2nd week in January I finally got the Hurricane !
After tweeking the fit and a couple of upgrades/changes I’m pretty happy how it is now (although if a lighter seat post, stem and handlebars become available I might take a punt ^_^)
Changes/upgrades :
Wheels and tyres
Swapped out the wired clincher tyres to 28mm Hutchinson tubeless
The standard wheels were also quite heavy so after looking at reviews I settled on the scribe alloy disc wheelset.
With just these two changes I saved over 500g of rotating weight. Did my first ride on them today and definitely felt they spun up quicker than the old set up.
Different crankset.
I run the same stages power meter on all my bikes so needed a 175mm crankset for the Hurricane (it’s supplied with a 172.5 and Planet X wouldn’t swap it out) As luck would have it I saw a brand new 175mm crankset on eBay that in his description said was to long for him. I msg him and asked if he would be interested in a swap and agreed ^_^ Even better was he lived less than 30miles away, happy days:okay:
Mudguards
Because it’s going to be primary my winter bike I fitted some Kinesis Fend Off mudguards and I’m very happy with them. It says a lot when if I’m out on a group ride and the roads are wet everyone wants to be on my wheel :bicycle:
To complement the build my grown up son ordered at top cap for me, I’m making no apologies for what it says, it suits my personality ^_^
How does it ride ?
Very, very smoothly. Don’t know if it’s the frame, 28mm tyres at 70psi or both but it’s much nicer to ride than my Aluminium Sensa that I used previously. Not quite as good as my (very high spec) 2015 Hi mod Cannondale but not far off. It is stealthy quiet though, proper mudguard mounts with those Kinesis make a world off difference, no rattling at all.
Running sram shifters and derailleurs for the first time on a roadbike. Bit of a mixed bag really, took little time to get used to them, the rear mech is kinda clunky but in a good way. Very positive shifting up or down the block. Not quite as enamoured about the front though, it changes fine going either way on the rings but compared to my Dura Ace 9000 on my Cannondale the lever is very, very stiff. In fact one cold ride I was struggling to change from the inner to the big ring.
Also on disc brakes for the first time and although it’s still early days have to say I don’t feel they’re any better than my DA callipers and carbon rims on the Cannondale, even in the wet. I might change my mind though after a few more rides.

You now need to put some pics on the following thread...

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show-us-your-titanium.56645/

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
All I can say is... Don't sign up for thier e - mail notifications.

Seriously, I will be the end of days, we'll all be dead... And yet... Planet X Sale!!!
Very true - I get one (sometimes two) PER DAY! If they didn't occasionally offer me stuff that I want I would unsubscribe. I very quickly scan through the latest offer, and usually delete a few seconds later.

PS Welcome back - I read one of your old posts the other day and wondered where you had gone!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
All I can say is... Don't sign up for thier e - mail notifications.

Seriously, I will be the end of days, we'll all be dead... And yet... Planet X Sale!!!

Unsubscribed a long time ago, but about a month ago mysteriously started getting mails again approx daily. It was a bit strange as I had looked at their website around the time the emails restarted, but didn't buy or sign up!

I can only assume they have a slightly questionable/dodgy/aggressive IP identification that allows them to (illegally?) reactivate dormant customer IDs? Whatever the truth, I still deal with them reluctantly but it does make my skin crawl and I am under no illusions regarding their business model and practices!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Unsubscribed a long time ago, but about a month ago mysteriously started getting mails again approx daily. It was a bit strange as I had looked at their website around the time the emails restarted, but didn't buy or sign up!

I can only assume they have a slightly questionable/dodgy/aggressive IP identification that allows them to (illegally?) reactivate dormant customer IDs? Whatever the truth, I still deal with them reluctantly but it does make my skin crawl and I am under no illusions regarding their business model and practices!

Yeah same here, hence my reference.

Bloody annoying I'll say!

Top Bottom