Thoughts on Planet X bikes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Think of PX as being like the Far East car manufacturers that used to buy up time-expired western designs, rejuvenate them a little, then sell them back into western markets at half the price of the current western models.
If you don't spend a whole load of money on R & D, advertising, sponsorship, and retail overheads you can supply decent but "non-premium" percieved products at outstanding VFM prices. If PX sold the sort of bikes I ride I would happily use them.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My One-One Inbred (bought frame only) was impeccably finished but the geometry was really weird. I needed a 30mm stem and a 450mm seatpost , and my heels rubbed the paint off the ridiculously-spaced seatstays. I don't even pedal heels-in; none of my cranks get scuffed.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
My One-One Inbred (bought frame only) was impeccably finished but the geometry was really weird. I needed a 30mm stem and a 450mm seatpost , and my heels rubbed the paint off the ridiculously-spaced seatstays. I don't even pedal heels-in; none of my cranks get scuffed.
The inbred was notorious for heel strike. The remedy? Twat it with a hammer.

honeybadger

Bit of a thread resurrection so apologies. It’s just that I did a Google search, this popped up so thought because it’s kinda relevant I’d carry this on instead.
My old winter/commuter bike is looking very tired despite my best efforts of treating it like Triggers broom so I’m in the need for a new one.
After looking at various makes the plant x Hurricane has come into my radar. It ticks all the boxes of what I’m looking for in a winter bike, disc brakes, mudguard mounts and a bit of a halfway house geometry wise. Not a full on race bike (like my cannondale 2015 Supersix) but not a full on relaxed endurance bike either. It’s also Titanium and I’ve always fancied owning a bike made out of this material.
Has anyone off here had one of these models and their thoughts ? There seems to be very little out there regarding reviews. There is Guy Kesteven’s on his you tube channel but little else.
It’ll be used for a short commute and 2hr training rides during the week and long (6hr plus) at weekends.

vickster

Legendary Member
There’s quite a lot of past recent discussion around PX Ti bikes eg from the what bike should I buy forum
https://www.cyclechat.net/search/220584/?q=Planet+X+hurricane&t=post&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=39&o=relevance

Or https://www.cyclechat.net/search/220585/?q=Planet+X+titanium&t=post&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=39&o=relevance

The only thing with at least some of the PX Ti bikes is a relatively short frame warranty if that bothers you.

As an alternative I have a Sabbath AR1 as my now 1x gravel/winter bike from Spa

Ribble, Dolan and Sonder (Alpkit) also have Ti disc brake offerings

Or if you want something a bit different, Pearson have this on sale as a more premium option

https://www.pearson1860.com/products/special-offer-objects-in-motion-shimano-105-titanium-road-bike

Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Bit of a thread resurrection so apologies. It’s just that I did a Google search, this popped up so thought because it’s kinda relevant I’d carry this on instead.
My old winter/commuter bike is looking very tired despite my best efforts of treating it like Triggers broom so I’m in the need for a new one.
After looking at various makes the plant x Hurricane has come into my radar. It ticks all the boxes of what I’m looking for in a winter bike, disc brakes, mudguard mounts and a bit of a halfway house geometry wise. Not a full on race bike (like my cannondale 2015 Supersix) but not a full on relaxed endurance bike either. It’s also Titanium and I’ve always fancied owning a bike made out of this material.
Has anyone off here had one of these models and their thoughts ? There seems to be very little out there regarding reviews. There is Guy Kesteven’s on his you tube channel but little else.
It’ll be used for a short commute and 2hr training rides during the week and long (6hr plus) at weekends.

I have one , the only ‘problem’ I have with it is it ended up being my summer bike, my slightly off road bike as well. Standard 25 mm tyres are ‘standard’ get better ones or upgrade to the 30mm that should have come with it. The saddle was awful, lasted 3 days, otherwise :smile:

I’ve got 3 px Ti. Order to deliver in under a fortnight. Rode spot on straight out the box. Good response when I email for advice etc. no complaints at all

Attachments

• 53293D4B-803E-4FF9-A108-4E1ADDA4C40F.jpeg
    53293D4B-803E-4FF9-A108-4E1ADDA4C40F.jpeg
    398.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 136A9D36-5091-4A9F-87D0-AC5A264533E3.jpeg
    136A9D36-5091-4A9F-87D0-AC5A264533E3.jpeg
    386 KB · Views: 25
  • 37C7B83B-6967-4957-9E40-A224AF321385.jpeg
    37C7B83B-6967-4957-9E40-A224AF321385.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 26

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just make sure you've got a long bullet proof warranty on that frame ;)

I've had my tempest for 2 years now and I've ridden it more than my best bike.

I'm sure the hurricane would do you just fine but I went for the gravel version so I can fit chunky tyres and mudguards on. PX will change the group set if you mail them. My gravel bike has a double chainset for extra gear choice.

Great bikes at a good price.

Milzy

Guru
I love my PX Spitfire. You get badge snobs but they are very well made. I remember some snob say his PX carbon frame snapped but high end Treks, BMC, Bianchi even fail. Watch the engineer Hambini take apart very expensive bikes and show all the flaws in them. Marketing is great at making people part with their money.

Good afternoon,
I love my PX Spitfire. You get badge snobs but they are very well made. I remember some snob say his PX carbon frame snapped but high end Treks, BMC, Bianchi even fail. Watch the engineer Hambini take apart very expensive bikes and show all the flaws in them. Marketing is great at making people part with their money.

Marketing is great at making people part with their money.

Nope, I am completely immune to the effects of marketing.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

IMG_1806.JPG

[Edit]
I quite like this photo; the Tesco Value toaster in the background adds a touch of contradiction.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
Good afternoon,

Marketing is great at making people part with their money.

Nope, I am completely immune to the effects of marketing.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

View attachment 666995

[Edit]
I quite like this photo; the Tesco Value toaster in the background adds a touch of contradiction.

Bye

Ian

I like your style. I’ve been playing with some old school groupsets and they work better than the cheaper end new ones.

Top Bottom