Thoughts on Planet X bikes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
In fact both Ribble and Dolan appear to offer slighter better carbon frames ie Toray 800/1000 vs PX Toray 700. I don’t know how much of a difference that makes in reality though.

I'm not an expert in CF and I suspect you aren't either, but i'm sure most bike frames are made from a blend of different Toray and other manufacturer's CFs. The Txxx refers to the different types. A higher number isn't necessarily "better", its different, as you need both strength and modulus to build anything. anything with really high Tensile strength is also more brittle.

I'm pretty sure no bike frame is made from a single type of CF, different types / blends are used in different places, but its good marketing to through a high number or two to confuse people.

see also 7001 and 6061 aluminium.....

battered

Guru
It's quality stuff at a very fair price. A friend worked for them for some years, enjoyed it. As others have said they keep overheads low and don't invest heavily in innovation etc, so they can build bikes of good quality without having to be on the bleeding edge of technology. I have a PX carbon fork on my road bike to replace one destroyed in an accident, it was inexpensive and better than the old one that came off. I suspect their business model is a bit like the Aldi/Lidl model, they don't have armies of marketing, customer service, technical development people, so to an extent they ride in on the coattails of others. Aldi don't spend a vast amount of time debating exactly what he customer wants from a meat pie, they just approach manufacturers and say "this is what we want, and we want it dirt cheap". Someone will supply. Will it be the best meat pie in the world? Probably not, but it will be more than good enough, and half the price of those in Waitrose. I know this story at first hand, I've manufactured the pies for Aldi.
Back on PX, their titanium frames are designed by Ridley, or by a chap who designed for Ridley. This is what makes them very good. Do they have the very finest polish to the welds, or the most expensive paint job? Maybe not, but the basics are all there.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's quality stuff at a very fair price. A friend worked for them for some years, enjoyed it. As others have said they keep overheads low and don't invest heavily in innovation etc, so they can build bikes of good quality without having to be on the bleeding edge of technology. I have a PX carbon fork on my road bike to replace one destroyed in an accident, it was inexpensive and better than the old one that came off. I suspect their business model is a bit like the Aldi/Lidl model, they don't have armies of marketing, customer service, technical development people, so to an extent they ride in on the coattails of others. Aldi don't spend a vast amount of time debating exactly what he customer wants from a meat pie, they just approach manufacturers and say "this is what we want, and we want it dirt cheap". Someone will supply. Will it be the best meat pie in the world? Probably not, but it will be more than good enough, and half the price of those in Waitrose. I know this story at first hand, I've manufactured the pies for Aldi.
Back on PX, their titanium frames are designed by Ridley, or by a chap who designed for Ridley. This is what makes them very good. Do they have the very finest polish to the welds, or the most expensive paint job? Maybe not, but the basics are all there.
Are you thinking of Mark Reilly? Ex Enigma, sadly passed away (I don't know if he had a hand in the full range)
https://www.planetx.co.uk/news/prod...f-the-titans-titanium-fleet-spreads-its-wings
(not sure Ridley have a Ti range?)

A few years ago their complete bikes had a shocking quality control reputation; I've heard nothing about that recently, and their sales seem to be ever upwards, so I'd probably buy a bike from them now.
(I've bought roomfuls of clothing/accesories from them over the years. The odd dud in there, but all cheap. Visited their Sheffield outlet back in the day too, seems an organised, well-run bunch. But awful jokes in their spam emails ... )

I've had four PX bikes and not had a problem with any of them. Two CF, one Alu and one titanium.

They seem as fast as my mates S Works anyway...

battered

Guru
Are you thinking of Mark Reilly? Ex Enigma, sadly passed away (I don't know if he had a hand in the full range)
https://www.planetx.co.uk/news/prod...f-the-titans-titanium-fleet-spreads-its-wings
(not sure Ridley have a Ti range?)
That's the man. Reilly not Ridley.

D

Deleted member 23692

I've had currently got 3 PX framed self builds - 2 London Roads and a CF Maratona. I've had them all for over 4 year and can't fault them being more than happy with the stack'em high sell 'em cheap business model.

I am thinking about selling a few and getting a Ti Tempest, and would have no qualms about doing so

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have had 2 Planet X bikes. Carbon roadie and a CX. Both were excellent and I had no problems with either of them.
I have since sold them both but only because I prefer steel bikes and I needed the space in my titchy abode.
i would have another, in a heartbeat.

CXRAndy

Guru
I bought my lad a road bike in aluminium frame. Worked fine, he trained on it and used to ride it from London to Paris. No breakdowns, cost £500. Sits in our Garage when he wants to ride it

Top Bottom