Thoughts on Boardman bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingspirit

Hi All,

I would like to post like 2 treads in one.

The first one is what is your thoughts on Boardman bikes? Especially the adventure series, ADV 8.9. They offer lifetime warranty on their forks and frames, so assume the frame quality suppose to be good? What is the catch as they price quite low ( 1100£)

The second thing I recently noticed quite a lot of bikes has asymmetrical chain stays (one lower then another) which looks really weird and horrible :smile: As an example Fuji Jari 1.1
What is the point of the asymmetrical chainstays ? Any benefits or just marketing trend ? :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is no catch, they buy in bulk.

My 2014 Boardman FS Pro, at RRP was about £1,000 cheaper than a similarly equipped 'name'. It's been a great bike and I've had it 5 years now.

I paid £1k for it, not £1.6k.

Asymmetrical chainstays - it's a gravel bike, so the 'lower' drive side chainstay allows more clearance to stop chain slap.

vickster

Legendary Member
Everything else being equal, if Boardman still favour press fit bottom brackets, I'd choose something else (my current Boardman creaks, as did the previous)

They are popular (probably as sold through Halfords and cost effective compared to the 'big' brands)

mustang1

Guru
There are two Boardmans in the camp and both are good for the price and well equipped with good frames. I would buy one for myself.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Good bikes, well specified and usually well assembled, cos the Halfords shop mechanics, don't need to do much to them.

The biggest turnoff for most people is the brand. Everyone knows you bought a bike from Halfords.

The Brownlees didn't mind.

Boardman offer superb VFM
+1
Very well specced and very well built. Just don't use Halfords more than you have to. I nearly bought one albeit for a winter bike. Only thing that stopped me was a good deal on a Kuota who were closing down and shifting remaining stock. Otherwise I'd probably have bought one.

Top Bottom