Thoughts on Boardman bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
3 in my collection. 2014 CX Team has just passed 18,000 miles in all weathers, I'll admit to new wheels after the first 10k, but otherwise just regular chains/cassettes. 2011 hardtail still going strong, and the recent 2016 FS Team seems to be as well built as always, so no complaints about the brand from me.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Nowt wrong with them.
I had a Boardman CX Comp that I purchased 2nd hand but unridden for £250(RRP £800) back in 2016.I've recently sold it for £325!
I will be replacing it with one of the newer CX/Gravel Boardmans later in the Autumn.

Seevio

Guru
I recently bought an ADV8.9. It's too early to judge the quality of the components but nothing has broken yet and it's proper comfy to ride.

One minor gripe I have is that the front derailleur doesn't appear to have enough clearance to properly fit a full rear mudguard without some hacksaw work. (On the mudguard not the front derailleur).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
got a 2011 road comp still a great bike,got it resprayed as it has seen many thousands of miles and a 2016 team carbon .
Didnt one model just st win a cycling plus award?

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

I recently bought an ADV8.9. It's too early to judge the quality of the components but nothing has broken yet and it's proper comfy to ride.

One minor gripe I have is that the front derailleur doesn't appear to have enough clearance to properly fit a full rear mudguard without some hacksaw work. (On the mudguard not the front derailleur).

How is the frame quality? Stiff frame ? Also what size did u get and what is you height? I'm 176cm (5.9) with inseam 86cm (34), tried to sit on the Medium, felt pretty comfortable even though boardman sizing table for ADV 8.9 says that M size from 177cm

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry, could you please clarify what is VFM stands for?
Value for money

vickster

Legendary Member
How is the frame quality? Stiff frame ? Also what size did u get and what is you height? I'm 176cm (5.9) with inseam 86cm (34), tried to sit on the Medium, felt pretty comfortable even though boardman sizing table for ADV 8.9 says that M size from 177cm
1cm difference from a sizing guideline (all it is) will make diddly difference. It just makes you borderline :okay: not all 177cm tall people are of the same dimensions!

Reactions: C R

Seevio

Guru
I haven't measured my height since my teen years but it was about 5'10''/5'11'' back then. I got a medium and it's fine - it doesn't feel like it's only just big/small enough. Your best bet is to go into a Halfords and try one just to be sure. If the 8.9 isn't available locally, the 8.6, 9.0 and 8.9E all have the same geometry apparently.

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

Ok, so most of the opinions is positive, which is great. I'm was looking at the "name" bikes like Cannodale, Fuji etc, but now thinking is it worth overpaying or not. Will definitely consider Boardman
Thanks!

DRM

Guru
I very nearly got the Boardman ADV 8.9, from Cycle Surgery before they closed, it’s just that the Marin Gestalt 2 I saw there was available at a price I couldn’t refuse, the Boardman was a very well specified bike for the money, and still is despite going up £100

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ok, so most of the opinions is positive, which is great. I'm was looking at the "name" bikes like Cannodale, Fuji etc, but now thinking is it worth overpaying or not. Will definitely consider Boardman
Thanks!
just replaced the BB on my team carbon after 4 years , shop said it had a little play but wasnt desperate to do , thats pretty good going in my book ,It is PF30 and has never creaked and its been rock solid

Top Bottom