Sports Folders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Folks
Over the past few years i have gathered a few odd folding bikes and a few shoppers thrown in for good measure , One day I was thinking about the possibilit of converting a folder into a shorts cycle that would ( of course ) fold abd fit in the caravan , Taking a look at my folding raleigh i found that the frame size was similar to my old road bike but much lower , with the aid of my trusty mig and a couple of stems I fabricated a stem that would get the bars in the same position as my road bike , turning my attention also to the gears and the steel wheels , 3 speed works but would it be enough , in my scrap box I found a long forgotten double cottered chainset and a few other bits ,
so a few days later , Enter the folding "racing bike " with 12 speed and alloy wheels fitted with Durano 20x1.1 tyres .
The second of the folders to get the same or rather similar treatment was ready for its new life , To compare the pair would be interesting so number 2 was slightly different , The wheels were replaced with alloy rims , the rear Sturmey hub was kept and built into a spare 28 hole rim that was lurking with intent on the garage wall , waiting for an opportunity . Its day had come , So the bike was rebuilt with drop bars again but with folding pedals and sports saddle and a rack was added so we could get some shopping on the bikes on holiday .
So enter the racing folding shoppers

Chain Reaction had some rather nice electric front hubs ( under £40 delivered on special ) and the third of the shoppers is about to get a different treatment , This has started to become the new folding E-bike Gone is the 3 speed and a 5 speed dérailleur has taken its place flat bars and a longer gooseneck gives it a better riding position and the rear bag will hide the controller and batteries .
Originally designed for 24v on a 700c wheel this little motor will be over run with 37v on a 20 " wheel
by my maths 20/27 x 18mph x 37/25 give us about a 20mph top speed , Currently I'm am awaiting some of the parts to arrive . I'm sorry but we will have to wait for the finished photos and test ride report.
But for now I will leave you with some photos and as the y same a photo is worth a thousand word so 3000 words
e_folder.jpg

sportsfolders.jpg

image upload no compression

regards emma

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Hi Folks
Bits have almost all arrived and the new front wheel is built for the e-folder ,
Chain reaction are selling these hubs at under £40 DELIVERED shame they are not disc compatible but they were designed for 26v on 700c wheels .
Over run to 36 v in a 20" wheel should give a bit more go , more torque and still achieve more derestricted than EAPC regs allow .
the maths 20/27 x 18 x 36/25 = :cycle: who me :angel:

I have just got a 500 w brush less controller for this little project , at present it will have 3 x 7.2ah SLA in the rear bag but that will be changed for a 37v Lifepo4 37x 10 ah pack when the charger arrives
shopperfronte.jpg

I hope this will be the weekends entertainment , Fitting the pedelec ( pedal less ) sensor will be as the bottom bracket is an odd one.
Wheel built ready to go

regards emma

Top Bottom