Spot of Knee Trouble.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threshold

A bit of advice if possible please people, have moved onto a compact geared roadie from an mtb triple, and although I think I've set up seat height/ knee over ankle when riding etc correctly, I have discomfort in the right 'inner knee' joint, seems like a grumbling cruciate ( and believe me, after 20 years of rugby, you get to know these strange twinges).
I'm clearly using more 'power strokes' as I simply don't have the granny gears any more, but am I missing something in terms of positioning to help this?
Thanks in anticipation :sad:

shippers

Change of position might have done it. Lift your seat half an inch.
Do you have cleats? Maybe they need tweaking...

OP
OP
threshold

threshold

I do ride clipless, but if seat goes any further up, I'll be pointing my toes downward on the downstroke, but how can a 'cleat tweak' help, and what do I do?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not grinding to higher gear?

I have just moved to a similar set up and after working out gear ratios my top gear is 13 inches bigger than my old bike so i have tried to back off pushing the same number cog and looked at running the equivalent ratio one to my old bike for now.

OP
OP
threshold

threshold

Hi Cyber,I've considered that when in top gear, but my bottom gear on the roadie is a few inches ( about 8-9") bigger than my granny ring on the mtb that I used to get up the couple of nasty little climbs on my commute.
So, as this low gear is all I've got, there's no option but to grind a little, more a function of my lack of conditioning/strength I know, but, when you're on the bottom cog, there's no where left to go, so just get on with it :-)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What cog you running at the back , maybe consider replacing the rear cassette with one with a larger "granny gear"?

Mines 12-25 and tbh i never use the granny gear but i am keeping the spread till i need a new cassette anyway as i can live with it.

Are you sitting down and grinding or standing up as well?

There are so many variables here , i would start with checking your cleats 1st as they can cause a lot of aggro if they are not right.i used the same article as Hlab suggested and it is really helpful.

OP
OP
threshold

threshold

Cyber, I am running a 12-25, with a 34/50 chainset, and mostly try to stay seated when on the worst climbs, but almost inevitably( especially when tired) have to 'knock it up ' a couple of cogs and stand to get the bugger up!

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
threshold said:
A bit of advice if possible please people, have moved onto a compact geared roadie from an mtb triple, and although I think I've set up seat height/ knee over ankle when riding etc correctly, I have discomfort in the right 'inner knee' joint, seems like a grumbling cruciate ( and believe me, after 20 years of rugby, you get to know these strange twinges).
I'm clearly using more 'power strokes' as I simply don't have the granny gears any more, but am I missing something in terms of positioning to help this?
Thanks in anticipation :smile:

I can relate to that. I had a potential career ending cruciate ligament injury. I played rugby from school upto the age of 19 when I hurt it. It still gives me problems 11 years on. I just grit my teeth and hope it passes if I get in pain.

As for positioning, just make sure your saddle is the correct height, you don't want your legs to fully straighten out.

Top Bottom