Spotting a stolen bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bike_Me

As I'm looking into buying a second hand bike, I've come to discover the rate of which bikes are stolen each year. With that in mind, is there any way to spot a dodgy vendor selling a stolen bike? Last thing I want, is to find myself purchasing a stolen bike, with the possible chance of being accussed of stealling it and having to return the bike to the rightful owner. Besided asking for the original receipt, is there any other way to avoid a scenario like this?

Globalti

Legendary Member
They usually don't know much about the bike, just advertising the sketchiest details. Any serious cyclist knows the bike and its history well. Silly prices are another clue.

(Pssssst.... wanna buy a lovely Bianchi Via Nirone C2C in 55 cms size, new condition? Only £680 to you guv!)

Diggs

Veteran
As per the above. Sites like goinggoingbike seem to be trying to address the issue but it's not fullproof. If buying from places like Gumtree, google the phone number, you may find hits for loads of bike ads with different contact names etc.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
If they purchased the bike from new, they should be able to state from what shop.
I have never ever had an issue having a shop pull out an old sales recipt.
I would equally personally never ever buy a bike without a frame number as there is no legitimate need to remove it imho.
I would also check the bike against .. https://www.bikeregister.com/stolen-bikes

These bikes do exist, Markst1 from this very forum picked up recently a decently priced s-works tarmac with frame numbers, a copy of the origional bill of recipt and more, its a great bike.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
If the frame looks like it's been hand painted with a scrubbing brush using Poundland emulsion paint then there is a fair chance that it has been illegally acquired.

Scratches on the frame might give an indication of theft but there might also be a genuine explanation.
Filed off serial no's would definitely set my alarm bells ringing, however :eek:

OP
OP
B

Bike_Me

Thanks all for the tips!
I honestly didnt know frames had serial numbers... you learn something new everyday.

Top Bottom