Spray.bike paint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes I've got a coloured coat on and yes it is a nice finish, although it needs top coat to properly "finish" and protect it. I am tempted by the keirin flake infused varnish though...

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Just in case anyone searches in the future, I was pretty pleased with the spray.bike stuff.
  • Its cheap, a can of colour will cover a frame and forks, and then you need a top coat / varnish and they advise using a wax on top of that, so its £30 give or take for a single colour job, add a tenner for each additional colour if doing a multicolour... I wasn't brave enough to attempt a stenciled / masked off job - that involves a bit of planning or order of colours too.
  • Very easy to apply and doesn't need a vast amount of prep and doesnt ru or drip if you follow the instruction correctly, it almost clings to the frame when sprayed. Over spray that ends up on the floor can actually be swept up. The most time consuming thing was masking off BB threads etc.
  • It dries super quick. touch dry in a 10 mins and recoat after 2hrs.
  • You defo need a top /varnish, its very prone to chipping scratching before that is done, but simple to touch up.
  • The keirin flakes vanish gave a great subtle sparkle effect on a single colour finish.
  • The result aren't as good as a professional dip and powdercoat, but then its 1/10th of the price...
  • Ideal for sprucing up a tatty paintjob and / or changing your frame colour on a whim.

otherself

Fully lugged in.
To be honest spray.bike is crap. Expensive too.

I have gotten much better results with Montana, Kobra and Molotow. These are about £4.50 a can from graff city.

dicko

Guru
Back in 1963 my grandfather gave me his old ‘cycle to the allotment bicycle’. It had a three speed derailleur, and many scratches, I used U-Spray paint at 5/- a tin as it was the only spray paint available in ‘63.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ove done a few, but as I get older the grief and effort involved tends to have me getting them powder coated.

Rustoleum Painters Touch is a good spray, particularly in satin. They dry rock hard in a manner other enamels don't, and are closer to pro paint for toughness and resistance to chips, and they give a very nice finish.

Top Bottom