spraying old bike frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
could anyone tell me if it is worth having a go at tarting up my old poor bike that has been used and abused and suffered quite a few knocks and scrapes . i would like to re-spray and lacquer a old giant ocre ( not worth much ) just to make it look better. i am fairly useful with me digits but just wondered if anyone thought it is worth doing - i dont want to sell it just thinking it would be sort of nice project while its not being used as its the winter bike . also not thinking of trying to match colours or nothing fancy - maybe changing from red to white but i would hate to strip it all down then not have the ability to give it the finish i want

Crankarm

Guru
could anyone tell me if it is worth having a go at tarting up my old poor bike that has been used and abused and suffered quite a few knocks and scrapes . i would like to re-spray and lacquer a old giant ocre ( not worth much ) just to make it look better. i am fairly useful with me digits but just wondered if anyone thought it is worth doing - i dont want to sell it just thinking it would be sort of nice project while its not being used as its the winter bike . also not thinking of trying to match colours or nothing fancy - maybe changing from red to white but i would hate to strip it all down then not have the ability to give it the finish i want

What material is the frame and how old is it?

Ideally the frame should be balsted before repainting/enamelling this will show the true condition of the frame. If old and rusty the frame will probably be full of holes and be as good as scrap. In which case just buy a new bike.

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
thanks for reply - although its been bashed and chipped - it was always cleaned and polished so not bad in real terms just not nice to look at - pretty sure its aluminium so rust aint an issue but would really like to tart it up if possible - just something simple either white or black something that lasts because i had this from new and red shows every mark i ever done and i never intentionally abused it - promise- even the pump has scratched it to a silver colour . then theres marks from me feet , leaning against things and one spectacular head over heels incident that i am pleased to say i cushioned the blow for the bike by courageously sliding between bike and tarmac on knees elbows and nose

Xiorell

Über Member
I've done a few up now with DIY paint jobs, steel and alli, preparation and patience is key.
If you're stripping the frame yourself, get every single bit of the old off, once you have bare metal get some finer sandpaper and iron out and scratches you've put in it while getting the paint off. Then go over it with a finer paper again.
Get a nice even SMOOTH finish with the primer, make sure there are no scratches/bumps, now is when to get ride of any sure things. scuff the primer a bit with really really fine sand paper.
Loads of thin coats of the main color till that's eventually a nice even, thick layer. Really light scuffs with the super fine paper again, then build up the lacquer in thin coats till it's a nice thick coat then leave that for a good week to cure.

Do it right and it'll look more or less factory - a lot of places online claim you'll never get a good finish DIY with rattle cans/home spray guns but it's all b*****ks those people must be a bit crap at it, you can make it really nice. And hard waring if you apply the clear coat right

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You can get an excellent looking finish with rattle cans, but even with lots of waiting for the layers to harden and sanding between layers etc the finish will be more likely to chip. An oven baked finish, good enamel job or powder coat are very difficult to replicate in terms of durability at home.

Xiorell

Über Member
Have to agree with Hacienda71 about the oven bake, no home job is going to be as tough as that.
However, the last one I did at home and went on to give some real abuse was a black and white MTB, I didn't have any issues with stone chips or anything it held up really well against that kind of thing, BUT - when I had a bit of chain slap (poorly adjusted - my fault) it stripped the paint on the chain stay really easily. Could had been avoided if I'd have set it up perfect first time and/or protected the stay from day 1 but never mind

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
why not get local powder coaters to strip and powder coat i had 2 frame sets done last year for £75 and a very good job they both were , a dam site better than i could have done for sure

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
hmm wellingborough - i'm only down the valley abit in iboro - thanks for the reply . in fact thank you everybody ! still not sure what to do . would love to do it myself and be able to say - cor look what i can do , but i would be bloody annoyed if it turned out that i was saying - ode look what i've done . think i could do it though . would like it to be the best job possible and i guess that means being strong as possible as i dont want to have to do it again but then again its only cosmetic and would del and rodney spray their van ! . think i am going to try and find out how much the paint will cost and weigh that up against how much a bloke would cost to do it - he could use the colour in his sprayer already - as long as it aint pink ! - was quite liking the idea of a black bike though . would never have red again . thanks again all by the way biggs682 was that company local ?

Top Bottom