Spring Classics 2016 discussion & commentary ***SPOILERS***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Interesting to see Mark Cavendish in the early break and featuring throughout, coming in 30th eventually. I've thought for a while that he could be more of a Classics rider once he started to lose his unbeatable finishing speed, and perhaps he is thinking the same now.

Just spotted a pic on twitter of Mitchell Docker of Orica-Greenedge. Gory stuff, looks as if he's had a tin of red paint over his head and face and arms. :eek:

Last edited:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
That was a fabulous race ! :heat: Watched almost all of it but kept loosing my internet feed, so the most reliable I got was the Aussie commentary - which was very good, then back to the English one for the finish.

They all looked properly stuffed by the end and it was less of a sprint, more of a "Get-to-the-line-as-quick-as-I-can-to-stop-this-pain" ! :eek: Was rooting for Stannard and EBH but they were too knackered to finish it off - and Hayman had been sitting quietly at the back for much of the break 'cos he wasn't going to be a threat, was he ??? ;)

Good to have re-lived it through reading this too. :okay:

We managed to get to the start, the first pave section at Inchy and into the velodrome for the finish. A few observations may be of interest.

Firstly, it rained heavily all the way there on Saturday and we expected it to be very muddy. It went clear overnight and was even misty first thing. There was really only mud and water at the edges and not too bad. It was warm and breezy by the end.
I had a good look at the bikes being readied beforehand in Compeigne. Most were using 25mm tyres at least -some 28s and some maybe bigger. Most tyres I saw were Continental, but one team were using Schwalbe Ones. I took a particular interest in the braking. Sep Vanmarke had a single "cross" lever on his bars on the back brake. The Lotto Jumbo team all rode Infinito CVs but had Oltres on the cars as spares. Sep had three CVs! There is a disc-brake version of the CV Infinito, but none were here. The CV vibration damping technology might well be seen as a success with Sep coming 4th and all the team finishing the race. Only two teams were using disc brakes - Lampre Merida and Direct Energie.
The atmosphere in the velodrome was superb, with most of the local support behind Tom Boonen. The French, as usual, were supporting Francais de Jeux, and as usual, they were nowhere.There was a good turnout from the Cancellara fan club. Despite two falls he was in good form and hung around for pictures and farewells. Seems a nice guy.
Cavendish was inconspicuous. In fact, I didn't recognise him. He seems very slim at present, which makes me think he has given up on track hopes for Rio and is preparing for the grand tours. Normally he is chatty and buzzing before the start, but he just went off as if cycling to work.
Sagan seemed very disappointed. He sort of cruised around on the grass. I thought perhaps he was showing off the WC jersey, but he just seemed in a world of his own.

Bit of a ramble, and not thought out, but it might be of interest...

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Just spotted a pic on twitter of Mitchell Docker of Orica-Greenedge. Gory stuff, looks as if he's had a tin of red paint over his head and face and arms. :eek:

M'colleague was standing about 10m ahead of where the crash happened and caught it on video. Nasty. Major pile-up, totally blocked the road. Apparently, it took several minutes to extricate Docker from the carnage. I've seen m'colleague's pic of his face. I won't be sharing it.

One report I read described his injuries as "severe craniofacial and dental trauma". Ouch.

I hope you are all sitting down. Brace yourselves for this news.

After Yaroslav Popovych's retirement from racing after Paris-Roubaix, it has been announced he will remain with Trek-Segafredo as a DS.

Another doper. Rejoice.

Has he changed? Who knows...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I hope you are all sitting down. Brace yourselves for this news.

After Yaroslav Popovych's retirement from racing after Paris-Roubaix, it has been announced he will remain with Trek-Segafredo as a DS.

Another doper. Rejoice.

Has he changed? Who knows...
I have no idea how he got away with it for all those years

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Some effort from Alaphilippe to set up Vakoc for the victory. I really good race, lots of attacking. I enjoyed that a lot.
Yes, Alaphilippe getting in practice for his predicted future role as distraction and superdomestique? Still finished eighth, too.

That was a brutal uphill finish and it's just as well not many had the legs to contest the finish, else the barriers jutting out in the penultimate straight could have made things very messy.

I was watching it on cyclinghub.tv, no idea what channel they were streaming but McCrossan was doing the words.
Commiserations!

Top Bottom