Spring Into The Dales 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Good job, Colin.

I was doing 60 mostly flat miles around Northallerton in north Yorkshire - you'd have been bored to tears, with the exception of the climb up through the village of Borrowby.

Jolly hot in the middle of the day, and a bit windy later on.

Did Bill turn out for your ride?

He had no excuse with the weather.
Bill DID turn out but I knew that he would go at his own pace. I saw him for 5 minutes before the start but that was it. I'll find out tomorrow how long it took him. I would guess about 6 hrs 15 mins. I know he enjoys the post-ride spread but there was no sign of him when I got back.

Just after Appletreewick I was overtaken on a small climb by a man on an e-bike that looked very similar to your new one. I saw him again later on sitting at the side of the road, enjoying a snack and the fine view.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Bill DID turn out but I knew that he would go at his own pace. I saw him for 5 minutes before the start but that was it. I'll find out tomorrow how long it took him. I would guess about 6 hrs 15 mins. I know he enjoys the post-ride spread but there was no sign of him when I got back.

Just after Appletreewick I was overtaken on a small climb by a man on an e-bike that looked very similar to your new one. I saw him again later on sitting at the side of the road, enjoying a snack and the fine view.

Mmm, nearly an hour faster than you - he can certainly pull on when he needs to.

I don't know if the guy you saw on the ebike was doing the ride, but there was some talk of Audax UK introducing an ebike classification.

No point in me looking further into it because, fortunately, I already have enough group/organised riding opportunities to keep me occupied.

That's another good day out on the bike, Colin. Glad the weather was so amenable though, as you say, the wind did pick up later on.

ColinJ

That's another good day out on the bike, Colin. Glad the weather was so amenable though, as you say, the wind did pick up later on.
You were sensible not to risk re-injuring your back. I had a few minor twinges in my back and neck before I set off and the ride aggravated them; nothing serious, but they did limit what I could do. I think you would have suffered!

zacklaws

Guru
The problem with my terminal problem with serious dehydration and passing blood in my urine was resolved when I got home, breaking the news to her indoors and I may be seriously ill was answered by, "Don't forget you had beetroot for tea yesterday", which suddenly explained it all. Oddly enough, I did find it strange that I had far too much life in the body to climb up from Keighley and then up Cock Hill to be as dehydrated as I thought I was and a piece of carrot cake and can of coke would not have made that much difference to the body.

Try rotating your bars upwards very slightly Colin and it may alleviate your back problem. I had the same issues last year which just started happening for no reason and just rotating the bars ever so slightly solved the problem. Make a small pencil mark at the edge of the stem where it clamps to the bars so you have a reference point to see how far you have rotated it or if you need to go back to where it was. It may only need a couple of milimetres at that point, but it will be a lot more near the shifters. I did wonder if over time, with all the weight that gets applied to the bars etc especcially when standing to pedal, and only 5 newtons torque holding them, that over time they slowly move downwards which caused my issue.

ColinJ

The problem with my terminal problem with serious dehydration and passing blood in my urine was resolved when I got home, breaking the news to her indoors and I may be seriously ill was answered by, "Don't forget you had beetroot for tea yesterday", which suddenly explained it all. Oddly enough, I did find it strange that I had far too much life in the body to climb up from Keighley and then up Cock Hill to be as dehydrated as I thought I was and a piece of carrot cake and can of coke would not have made that much difference to the body.
Ha ha - that's good!

[FAECAL ALERT - Don't read the rest of this paragraph if you are fussy about poo talk!] That reminds me of a time when I was called to the bathroom by my girlfriend who was in a right panic. She told me that she thought that she had developed bowel cancer or some other serious illness because there were huge blood clots in her poo. I tried reassuring her that it was not that, but she wouldn't listen. She absolutely insisted that I stare at the offending faeces with her. I started howling with laughter, which did not impress her at all. I told her that I would have been much more concerned if I hadn't produced identical 'blood clots' (a.k.a. large chunks of partially-digested beetroot from the night before's salad) just an hour earlier ... :laugh:

Try rotating your bars upwards very slightly Colin and it may alleviate your back problem. I had the same issues last year which just started happening for no reason and just rotating the bars ever so slightly solved the problem. Make a small pencil mark at the edge of the stem where it clamps to the bars so you have a reference point to see how far you have rotated it or if you need to go back to where it was. It may only need a couple of milimetres at that point, but it will be a lot more near the shifters. I did wonder if over time, with all the weight that gets applied to the bars etc especcially when standing to pedal, and only 5 newtons torque holding them, that over time they slowly move downwards which caused my issue.
The problem yesterday was that I already had an aching back and a sore neck before I got on the bike. I think I must have fallen asleep in an awkward position.

I actually lowered my bars and put a longer stem on last year because I had discovered that the shorter, higher position was causing me backache! I had always thought that I needed a higher position but I borrowed a bike with a longer, lower position and it had felt more comfortable. I think it is because I have a long torso. My 6' 1" height comes more from that than my legs which are only about a 32" inseam.

Still, I might experiment with a minor change to the bar setup though I already have the shifters pretty high up.

One thing that I changed today was the saddle position. I moved it forward about 5 mm because yesterday I felt that I was not sitting on the widest part of the saddle. As a result it was giving me a bit of a wedgie as I was riding. My bum felt better when I slid back on the saddle but then I felt overstretched to the bars. I developed a slight saddle sore on the ride and that was affecting how I sat on the bike and that in turn was aggravating my back.

I spoke to my pal Bill today. He got round an hour quicker than me (6 hrs 5 mins), but at least he had the decency to admit to being knackered when he finished. I took about 15 mins more stops than him so that fits in with my guess that he could do the ride about 45 minutes quicker than me. I met him about 20 years ago and there have only been about 2 years in that time when I have been as fit as him.

Top Bottom