Spring into the Dales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Anyone else venturing out next Sunday?

Hoping for MUCH better weather than the horrendous experience last year.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We were talking about that on my forum ride today. Subject to acceptable weather, Littgull and I are certainly hoping to do it.

ColinJ

count me in for this one, can you still enter on the day?
SITD organiser said:
ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED ON THE DAY. GIVEN THE NUMBER OF RIDERS LIKELY TO DO THIS, IT WILL HELP US IF YOU CAN BRING A COMPLETED ENTRY FORM TO THE START.
I will probably enter online, even though I have pulled out of a few recent audax events due to bad weather. It saves hassle at the start.

It says on the audax page for the event that there are changes. I have not checked the details yet, but the distance seems to have increased by 5 km so there must be at least one detour somewhere. I'll find out what the changes are, and report back below.

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
@ColinJ just had a quick look at the entry form/routsheet...

It's back to the old starting point in Hebden (Salem Community Centre) as the place at Mythomroyde they used for the last couple of years has been flooded out and damaged. Rest of the route looks to be unchanged from last year (but dont quote me on that).

ColinJ

@ColinJ just had a quick look at the entry form/routsheet...

It's back to the old starting point in Hebden (Salem Community Centre) as the place at Mythomroyde they used for the last couple of years has been flooded out and damaged. Rest of the route looks to be unchanged from last year (but dont quote me on that).
Ah - the extra distance WAS the extra distance to and from Mytholmroyd. That has now been taken out but the first mention on the audax page still describes it as being 115 km, though it is described as 110 km below that. (It is ACTUALLY 112 km - that is from very detailed measurement on the OS map, and checked by GPS numerous times by me on rides over the years. Still, a few km is not the issue on this ride - it is the repeated hills that tire the legs!)

Unfortunately, the GPX files linked to on the audax page, in the letter to entrants, and on the West Yorkshire SR webpage all refer to the Mytholmroyd start/finish!

I have checked the rest of the route and you are right - Hebden Bridge to Hebden Bridge IS the same as the last few years, it is only the venue that has changed.

@tubbycyclist - maybe you could have a word with Chris Crossland and get the gpx files updated? The oversight should not be a big deal unless a rider from out of the area switches their Garmin ON and their brain OFF and ends up knackered and befuddled in Mytholmroyd at the end! :laugh:

NB: BEARING THAT IN MIND - IF YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED THE CURRENT GPX FILE, IGNORE THE BIT TO AND FROM MYTHOLMROYD! YOU NEED TO GO TO SALEM MILL BESIDE HEBDEN BRIDGE CO-OP.

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
For anyone wanting an updated route I've attached the .tcx and .gpx routes I'll be using on Sunday.
Feel free to use them....but I'd check and confirm that they are correct before hand as I don't want anyone moaning at me if they use them and get lost.

Attachments

• SITD2016.gpx
    454 KB · Views: 188
  • SITD2016.tcx
    1.8 MB · Views: 145
OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I recreated the route on RidewithGps from the "official" .gpx minus the changes at start/end.
Then the 2 files were created from the same source and simply saved in different formats.

busdennis

Veteran
weather forcast looking good for Sunday, is it time to make a list of riders and meeting point, are you still on the same mobile no. Colin?

list of riders
busdennis

ColinJ

weather forcast looking good for Sunday, is it time to make a list of riders and meeting point, are you still on the same mobile no. Colin?

list of riders
busdennis
I am. I will ride over from Todmorden and aim to arrive at about 08:30.

It is surprisingly hard to spot people in a crowd of only 100 or so riders.

'Spot the Cyclechatters'!
sitd_start_large.jpg

I think that if the weather is as forecast then there will be 120+, based on previous turnouts. I suggest that we start from the back of the bunch and perhaps work our way past stragglers together, rather than starting in the middle and getting confused by faster groups overtaking us? So, how about gathering at the back of the side street by the mill at 08:55, ready to set off at 09:00?

It will be cold in the valley and on the first few descents so I recommend wearing layers which can be taken off later when the day warms up. I did SITD over-dressed a couple of times in a heavy jacket and cooked after midday!

My pal Bill will be at the start but may be whizzing round with a faster mate of his. My friend Carrie who was on last weekend's forum ride will meet us in Stanbury and ride back round as far as Keighley. She lives over there and doesn't fancy the extra return ride from Keighley which would be involved if she were to start and finish the full route with us. She may recruit another rider or two to join her.

ColinJ

Littgull has just let me know that he won't be joining us for this one because of other commitments.

@busdennis - if you come over in your van, do you think I could leave my bike in it at the end of the ride while we go to the mill for coffee and cake? (I always feel a bit anxious leaving my best bike unattended outside while I am upstairs at the mill.)

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I'll be there (assuming the lack of thunderstorms, blizzards, flash floods and other divers alarums) .

Looks like the guys I was supposed to ride with ( @IG88 and @Steve H ) are claiming oncoming bouts of man flu, so may or may not turn up.....

Top Bottom