Springs and acid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It makes the spring go boing, spilling acid onto a passing Russian diplomat, who complains to Putin about secret services trting to kill him, this all escalates into world war 3, making a butterfly in China flap it's wings. Or something. :smile:

See! I knew I was right after all...:smile:

domtyler

Über Member
Mr Celine said:
The system as a whole has no potential energy, as the potential energy of the spring is balanced by the potential energy stored in the clip/jar walls.

Not relevant, this concerns the potential energy of the spring only.

Jaded

The answer is that it is only potential energy, not real energy.

Therefore you can discount it.

biking_fox

Guru
I suspect a compressed spring has a higher internal metal bond energy and would require marginally more chemical energy to dissolve (ie slightly more acid) So the potential energy is transformed into chemical energy.

I also doubt that you'll be able to measure this difference. You'd need to add exactly (to the molecule) enough acid to completely just dissolve the unclipped spring. If I'm right, adding this much acid to the clipped spring would leave a incredably tiny bit of spring left - related by e=mc2 e being the potential energy of the spring and m the mass left.

Just guessing.

Mr Celine

Discordian
domtyler said:
Not relevant, this concerns the potential energy of the spring only.

Of course it's relevant. Where's the potential energy in a fixed spring?

gbb

Legendary Member
biking_fox said:
I suspect a compressed spring has a higher internal metal bond energy and would require marginally more chemical energy to dissolve (ie slightly more acid) So the potential energy is transformed into chemical energy.

I also doubt that you'll be able to measure this difference. You'd need to add exactly (to the molecule) enough acid to completely just dissolve the unclipped spring. If I'm right, adding this much acid to the clipped spring would leave a incredably tiny bit of spring left - related by e=mc2 e being the potential energy of the spring and m the mass left.

Just guessing.

Nah, that can't be right :blush:
'slightly more acid required'
infers that at some point, the original amount of acid wasnt, or wouldnt,be enough....but of course, it would be enough...

'So the potential energy is converted into chemical energy'
....but then, has the now dissolved spring 'diluted' the acid somewhat, so actually reducing its chemical energy ?....errr maybe :blush:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I doubt you'd be able to measure the difference either. Say for arguments sake it does mostly become heat energy. Well unless the spring is made of some completely stupid material (and probably less potential energy stored in it) it will take a very long time to react sufficiently to break up, by which time probably most of the change in temperature you're trying to measure will have then transferred elsewhere (it would have been very small anyway).

The point about the bonds is a good point, I'd have thought it would affect the enthalpy values (one way or the other).

bonj2

Boringly, it will be dissipated as a little tiny bit of heat energy, rather than anything exciting happening such as the spring exploding into a time warp or the acid multiplying and eating up the whole world and everything in it. As is the case with most questions you can think of where it isn't clear what happens to some energy that you've previously captured in something and then put that something through a process which will render it no longer having that energy.

cisamcgu said:
Potential energy is energy .. you cannot just ignore it :tongue:

Jaded said:
The answer is that it is only potential energy, not real energy.

Therefore you can discount it.

No, potential energy is just as valid a type of energy as any other type of energy. It doesn't mean the potential of energy, just like the 'assistant director' doesn't always mean assistant to the director, they're still a director, just an assistant one. If you take a heavy object to the top of a high building, its potential energy doesn't only "become real energy" when you chuck it off, it's still GOT that energy. Potential energy IS REAL energy.

Also, possibly more boringly, it takes a lot more to create potential energy than it does to create the same amount of joules of heat energy - in other words, it would take an awful lot of compression of a very big spring to produce a significant temperature rise in a significant volume of acid if this was carried out. And even then some of the heat energy generated might be consumed by the chemical reaction so this would have to be taken into account if you were trying to predict the temperature rise.

Abitrary

After the new orleans hurricane, there was enough potential energy left in the rubble to actually rebuild the city

Top Bottom