Sprinting and going fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

Although I agree with that in principle I think there are a number of people watching who have a similar unformed question who would benefit from a bit more and this is why I persevere in this kind of thread. So rather than a ask a general question - get a general answer. attitude perhaps we can dig a little deeper to see how it might be possible to pass on knowledge gained from experience as unlikely as this seems at first sight.

Poyndexter's comment above pretty much covers everything he should be doing at the stage he is currently at.

Crandoggler

Ok.

Warmup for 10-15 minutes, choose a comfortable gear. Around 80 rpm.

- 30 seconds of 100% effort, sustain until the 30 seconds has elapsed. Choose a high gear.
- 90 seconds active recovery, ease off, around 80rpm.

Repeat this 10 times.

Cool down for 10-15 minutes, choose a comfortable gear. Around 80rpm.

Tell you what, I can also issue one for running too.

Warmup by running at a comfortable pace for 10 minutes on a running track.

Run as hard as you can for 100m, recover by jogging 300m.

Repeat this 10 times.

Cool down by jogging at a comfortable pace for 10 minutes.

Can I interest you in a personalised plan?

ayceejay

Guru
But Citius thts is what I am getting at, Crandoggler is obviously coming from out of left field so should we abandon the thread to
it or pick up and extend the far more sensible offering from Poyndexter?
Is your desire is to ace the race with an awe inspiring sprint or get away from the lights ahead of that berk from dispatch?

Crandoggler

Lol. Some people's reactions are laughable. He isn't Peter Sagan, he never will be. He wants to learn to sprint every now and again and now to ride faster. It's not too much to ask is it? You don't have to scrutinise every word he says and conclude that he may as well just ride until he gets faster. Truth is that this is probably what will happen anyway, but if he does a few intervals and gets faster, what's the harm? Take your head out of your arse and impart some advice instead of finding the worst in everyone.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Thanks, that is helpful.

Sprints would be achieved by carrying out interval training. 30 second bursts, followed by 90 second recovery. Do a Google search.

Riding faster would be achieved by increasing your threshold. Effectively, you must ride at the cusp of exhaustion for long periods of time.

I don't know why people must point fingers and take the piss. You can ride for 10 hours at a time, but if you're riding at 10mph on the flat you're not going to improve your sprint or ride speed.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

It's ok I thought that was a general answer to the my question.

Let's not start prescribing training programmes for the OP. We don't know anything about him and he hasn't asked for one anyway. Ask a general question - get a general answer.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Yes this was the point of my post, to find out from others what they have done, I know with training it differs from person person and points of view.

Although I agree with that in principle I think there are a number of people watching who have a similar unformed question who would benefit from a bit more and this is why I persevere in this kind of thread. So rather than a ask a general question - get a general answer. attitude perhaps we can dig a little deeper to see how it might be possible to pass on knowledge gained from experience as unlikely as this seems at first sight.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Hi, Yes this was the sort of advice I was expecting, it was to gain a vague understanding of the type of training involved. My question was very short and limited I know but it was to see what others have done. I am not a pro rider or someone that will enter comps I just have an interest.
Ok.

Warmup for 10-15 minutes, choose a comfortable gear. Around 80 rpm.

- 30 seconds of 100% effort, sustain until the 30 seconds has elapsed. Choose a high gear.
- 90 seconds active recovery, ease off, around 80rpm.

Repeat this 10 times.

Cool down for 10-15 minutes, choose a comfortable gear. Around 80rpm.

Tell you what, I can also issue one for running too.

Warmup by running at a comfortable pace for 10 minutes on a running track.

Run as hard as you can for 100m, recover by jogging 300m.

Repeat this 10 times.

Cool down by jogging at a comfortable pace for 10 minutes.

Can I interest you in a personalised plan?

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
There's really no need for a structured plan unless you're racing seriously or intend doing some TT's.

Plenty of miles in your legs first off. We're coming up to winter, so join a club and get some long miles in before the New Year ( am I really saying that!) Try to sprint with the faster boys to the cafe stop and stay on their back wheel on the climbs!

Two sessions I would try after Christmas, once a week for each, indoors or out :

To ride faster for longer -

2x 20 minute intervals. Warm up, 20 mins at a faster speed than normal, recover for a bit, another 20 mins harder riding, then warm down spin to your back door.

Sprinting -

Warm up,
20x 15 second sprints on/off ( 15 second sprint, then 15 second recovery and go again),
Recovery spin 5-10 mins,
10x 30 secs on/off sprints,
Recovery spin,
5x 1 min on/off sprints,
Recovery spin as long as you need before falling off bike.
Best done on a turbo IMO and it's not compulsory to do all three to start with. Doesn't look much on paper, but I find this extremely hard - but I am old and decrepit!

At a later date you can think about heart rates, training zones, power meters etc. if you're still keen.

Alternatively, just ride 200-300 hundred miles a week at a decent pace. That'll do the trick! :ohmy:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Alternatively, just ride 200-300 hundred miles a week at a decent pace. That'll do the trick! :ohmy:

I tried that for an entire summer and although my general performance increased considerably it didn't really improve my sprinting. Prob a lack of real structure and a lax attitude to reserving energy in the final few Km's before the sprint.

I think there is another aspect to this and that's the tactical positioning and timing. Plenty of average riders can do well in the sprint if they find the right wheel to follow and know when to light it up. Risk taking, sitting in & saving energy and getting the correct wheel are (I reackon) at least as important as the physical aspect. Although you do need a decent turn of speed, admittedly.

These are why I never do any good in the sprints... always end up being the mug who is on the front doing a lead out at 1k before the line. Guess not everybody is cut out to be a sprinter...

Joshua Plumtree

Let's not start prescribing training programmes for the OP. We don't know anything about him and he hasn't asked for one anyway. Ask a general question - get a general answer.

But he did ask what other forum users did to become faster and to develop a better sprint. This surely assumes that there has to be some kind of training involved. :rolleyes:

Not having a go, I respect your opinion, as you seem to know what you're talking about. Just saying, that's all! ^_^

Citius

Hi, Yes this was the sort of advice I was expecting, it was to gain a vague understanding of the type of training involved. My question was very short and limited I know but it was to see what others have done. I am not a pro rider or someone that will enter comps I just have an interest.

You are nowhere near needing to do anything like that just yet. The only people who will give you advice like that at your stage are just random nobbers with no clue what they are talking about.

If you want to improve yourself, just keep riding. If you want to sprint, just sprint. But build your base for a few months before trying to load your top end.

Citius

But he did ask what other forum users did to become faster and to develop a better sprint. This surely assumes that there has to be some kind of training involved. :rolleyes:

Not having a go, I respect your opinion, as you seem to know what you're talking about. Just saying, that's all! ^_^

We had to clarify his first post, as it didn't really include enough info to make a judgement (we still don't have enough). In simple terms, at his stage, he just needs to ride more and yet people are still suggesting he knocks out 30sec intervals and the like. As someone else said (rather ironically) he isn't Peter Sagan, so doesn't need to train like him - but that same person was the one prescribing those absurd interval sessions for someone who has been road riding for only a few weeks.

Joshua Plumtree

We had to clarify his first post, as it didn't really include enough info to make a judgement (we still don't have enough). In simple terms, at his stage, he just needs to ride more and yet people are still suggesting he knocks out 30sec intervals and the like. As someone else said (rather ironically) he isn't Peter Sagan, so doesn't need to train like him - but that same person was the one prescribing those absurd interval sessions for someone who has been road riding for only a few weeks.

Agree although, having said that, I've posted a training plan of my own! :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom