Sprocket Maintenance - White Industries and others

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, having finally got my shiny new WI sprocket and KMC X1 EPT chain installed on my Day One, my thoughts are turning to maintenance. I'm confident maintaining and changing chains and cassettes on my other bikes but am a newbie to SS cycling, so I'd be really interested to know from others -

* How often do you change your sprocket (in terms of miles)?
* Do you judge sprocket wear by eye or just change sprockets after getting through a certain number of chains even if the sprocket doesn't appear very worn?
* How many chains do you tend to get through before changing a sprocket, or do you always change both at the same time?

And for those running WI sprockets - do you change outers separately to bearings? If so what kind of mileage do you tend to get from each? What tools are required to change each, and how fiddly a job is it? Where do you buy your new outers and/or bearings from?

At £90 a pop I'm hoping to get a fair bit of life from this new sprocket! It's very flat where I do the majority of my SS riding, and I'm very light (9.5 stone). I tend to manage 3 chains per cassette with my geared bikes so would hope for the same or more with this sprocket, but don't just want to make assumptions, would rather learn from those with the experience.

Thanks for any pointers.

Andy

mangid

Guru
So, having finally got my shiny new WI sprocket and KMC X1 EPT chain installed on my Day One, my thoughts are turning to maintenance. I'm confident maintaining and changing chains and cassettes on my other bikes but am a newbie to SS cycling, so I'd be really interested to know from others -

* How often do you change your sprocket (in terms of miles)?
* Do you judge sprocket wear by eye or just change sprockets after getting through a certain number of chains even if the sprocket doesn't appear very worn?
* How many chains do you tend to get through before changing a sprocket, or do you always change both at the same time?

And for those running WI sprockets - do you change outers separately to bearings? If so what kind of mileage do you tend to get from each? What tools are required to change each, and how fiddly a job is it? Where do you buy your new outers and/or bearings from?

At £90 a pop I'm hoping to get a fair bit of life from this new sprocket! It's very flat where I do the majority of my SS riding, and I'm very light (9.5 stone). I tend to manage 3 chains per cassette with my geared bikes so would hope for the same or more with this sprocket, but don't just want to make assumptions, would rather learn from those with the experience.

Thanks for any pointers.

Andy

I ride EAI Gold Medal 18T, Izumi SuperTough and Sugino 48T and reckon to average 5K per chain, 10K per sprocket, 20K per ring. I occasionally mess up and let the chain wear too much. When I do mess up, the sprocket/chain make a gawd awful noise so I know it's time to change sprocket, I always have a spare sprocket around for occasions.

So, I guess keep an eye on chain wear, and change earlier rather than later.

Top Bottom