Spud-U-Like

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I went back to SPD-SL for my road bikes earlier this year, but I'm sacking it off. It brings zero tangible benefit to me and its proven a bit annoying not having all my shoes universal across all my bikes.

Which leaves me with 2 x pairs of SL shoes, SIDi and Shimmy, that I want to convert to SPD 2 bolt. In the past I've seen adaptor plates that bolt to the 3 hole SL sole, and give a mounting point for 2 hole SPD cleats. Wiggle used to sell them whey back when, but I'll be dashed if I can find them anywhere now.

Any ideas where I can purchase them?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH, you'll struggle to walk with road shoes and metal SPD's with adapters. I'm on SPD's - used them for commuting, then 2 MTB's have them too. I have my very expensive Look Carbo Pro and Campag Record Carbon Look Delta's on my road bikes, but they aren't used now. For general riding, you can't beat SPD's and Shimano 520 pedals are cheap, and last.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sell the shoes if in decent nick and buy some MTB ones. Walking on non recessed SPD cleats would be suicidal

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I went into a Spud-U-Like in Kingston many years ago, mid afternoon it was, I was feeling a little esurient and I attempted to acquire a spud, with cheese and beans. They said I could have the cheese and beans but they had no potatoes left. I shoot you not.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Anyone remember Little Chef?
We visited one on our way back from visiting relatives.

Asked for omelette and chips ( food of the Gods)
" Sorry, we're out of Omelettes"
I spotted a tray of eggs and pointed to them.
" You have eggs, and milk, and cheese"

" We don't make the omelettes, they come pre made and we just warm them up..."

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Anyone remember Little Chef?
We visited one on our way back from visiting relatives.

Asked for omelette and chips ( food of the Gods)
" Sorry, we're out of Omelettes"
I spotted a tray of eggs and pointed to them.
" You have eggs, and milk, and cheese"

" We don't make the omelettes, they come pre made and we just warm them up..."
I had something similar happen to me in the Little Chef in Bicester, I wanted the Olympic Breakfast, they said they had run out of eggs, so I said out loud but mainly to myself ‘what shall I have instead, and she said an omelette’ without any hint of irony.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I've had phases of going back to SL, then not, then back...I think this is it this time, now I'm getting old and crotchety.

They dont set you free quickly like an SPD does..
I hate flat shoes as i constantly search for a good position, spdsl seem too tight tolerance wise.. And you walk like you've had an accident :laugh:

Top Bottom