Spur of the moment mini-tour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have 4 days off this week, clear of any types of appointments. So tonight I have been looking on the net to see what I can get up to. Western Isles? No, weather looks dodgy. Ireland? Similar. London? Too expensive and I don't really like the place.

For some reason I looked at P&O ferries website. Sail from Hull overnight on Tuesday night to Rotterdam, return from Zeebrugge to Hull on Thursday night. Solo cabin each way.... total cost £75 :smile:. That'll do for me! Why go to Rotterdam and return from Zeebrugge? Of course - it's because there's an 80 mile cycle to be done in between them, over 2 leisurely days, so scope for expanding them. Route planned and downloaded onto Garmin, passport looked out, bike into back of car on Tuesday morning and I'm off!

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Brilliant. Have a grand time and don't forget some photos otherwise we won't believe you.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Game on!!:thumbsup:
Mind you, I'd have gone to Zeebrugge and back from Rotterdam, but I'm an utter wuss about headwinds.

The Rotterdam to Hull ferry wasn't available on Thursday night, so no choice! Winds look more like being cross winds though. SE winds; and I'm heading roughly SW.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm sure you'll have an excellent trip.
You've got me thinking now. I bet it wouldn't take me much longer to get to Hull than it does to get to Dover, let alone Harwich...
*plottens*

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Nice trip. I am in Denmark and the weather on this site is predicted to be nice all week with the wind building up as the week progress.

Where are you from Brandane?

Steve

I've just got back from holland this morning and you may be in luck. The wind isn't in its usual blowing up the coast mode, it's more of an easterly which'll make your journey far better. I averaged 6km or so faster yesterday than I did on Friday thanks to the wind.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Have a great time. Nothing like a nice Autumn Vacation to make Winter more bearable.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Brilliant. Have a grand time and don't forget some photos otherwise we won't believe you.
Have a great time Brandane, don't forget the pictures :hello:

Proof enough? Proper cycling facilities, canals, and windmills. Where else could it be? :smile: .................
915y.jpg

csxy.jpg

fm7k.jpg

qr72.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole trip. Ferry crossing was fantastic, in both directions. The P&O mini-breaks are excellent value; an en-suite cabin (small but all I need) for £75 return! A bed and breakfast would have cost me that for 2 nights. Pre booked meals were £22 each way, that included a buffet dinner and buffet breakfast. The food was far nicer than I had expected, and set me up nicely for the first days cycling. Day 1 was easy going, from Europoort near Rotterdam to Middelburg, about 52 miles. Found a reasonably priced Hotel (Huifkar, pictured) right in the centre of town, with secure bike parking just a few yards away. Dinner and a few beers was had at the hotel.

Thursday was another easy day, about 32 flat miles to Zeebrugge for the return ferry to Hull.

Cycling in Holland was a pleasure, with proper segregated facilities even on the minor routes I encountered. Not the place to go if you want to go mountain biking, of course. According to Strava, I didn't go above 50 feet in 2 days cycling. The biggest climb of the trip was the ramp at Hull docks up to deck 7 of the "Pride of Rotterdam". It was a bit windy at times, but not a drop of rain in 2 days in October has to be a bonus! All in all, it was a most pleasant way to spend my 4 days off :smile:.

Somebuddy

Über Member
I'm guessing you just head south, across all the dykes. I fancy having a go at this. When would be too late in the year? Is navigation easy? Where did you leave your car in Hull?

Top Bottom