Squats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinSplint

I was just wondering what the competitive cyclist do in terms of weight training.

I personally have started squats recently. I started with standard squats without weight, but am building up gradually. Have to say it feels quite exhilirating and think it will be beneficial in terms of overall speed.

I also think it will help my running as well. Seems a versatile exercise.

If you do squats, how much weight to use, i'd like to know how many sets/reps etc, so I can try and come up with a good average workout.

Cheers xx(

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ive read a lot on here and other forums to do low or body weight for high reps. Personally I'd agree, I can barbell squat about 100kg for 3 sets of 8 and leg press a whole lot more (well I used to be able to, havent tried for a long time), but I am weak in terms of cycling and endurance so heavy weight probly isnt the way to go.

Body weight for 20-25 reps, then when thats to easy maybe do them one legged in a doorway? Or body weight jump squats?

davidg

on squats I do 3 sets of 20kg - 30 reps
also good in to set up on a box with the same leg 30 times, then the other leg...box/step should be twice your crank length high. I do this with 6 kg at the moment

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

Rob3rt said:
Ive read a lot on here and other forums to do low or body weight for high reps. Personally I'd agree, I can barbell squat about 100kg for 3 sets of 8 and leg press a whole lot more (well I used to be able to, havent tried for a long time), but I am weak in terms of cycling and endurance so heavy weight probly isnt the way to go.

Seems to make sense. I would imagine that having bigger, heavier legs it would make you a good sprinter, but not so good a climber.

I think i'll stick to low weight - this morning I did a few sets just body weight, then tried just 13kg barbell. A few sets of 20. It seemed quite easy, so i'll probbaly start doing more reps as opposed to increasing the weight.

Body weight for 20-25 reps, then when thats to easy maybe do them one legged in a doorway? Or body weight jump squats?

02GF74

Über Member
I stopped going to the gym - should get my butt bsck in it - but I am sure weight training helped my running; just felt as I had more strength,

re: squatting, got up to 3 plates each side.... eeek!!!

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

well, I put the bar up to 20 kg for a few sets of 12 reps today.

As far as weight lifting goes, it felt great ! I don't know why I didnt start these last year when I first got into cycling. I'm convinced that squat will help my cycling. I won't go any higher than 20kg though, I will just increase my reps.

Or would it be better to start with max reps, say 30, and lighter weight, say 10kg, and build up the weight each session?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
ShinSplint said:
well, I put the bar up to 20 kg for a few sets of 12 reps today.

As far as weight lifting goes, it felt great ! I don't know why I didnt start these last year when I first got into cycling. I'm convinced that squat will help my cycling. I won't go any higher than 20kg though, I will just increase my reps.

Or would it be better to start with max reps, say 30, and lighter weight, say 10kg, and build up the weight each session?

If it was an olympic bar (which most gyms use, the ones with the thick ends where the plates rest), the bar alone weights about 20kg so you may have been doing more weight than you thought ;) i.e 40kg if you added 20kg worth of plates to the bar.

02GF74 - 140kg? Impressive!

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

Rob3rt said:
If it was an olympic bar (which most gyms use, the ones with the thick ends where the plates rest), the bar alone weights about 20kg so you may have been doing more weight than you thought :smile: i.e 40kg if you added 20kg worth of plates to the bar.

02GF74 - 140kg? Impressive!

;) nah, its only a cheapo bar from Argos, does the job though. The bar itself prob weighs 2-3 kg max.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ah... Ive got a cheapo weight set to, but the long bar wouldnt fit in my dads car to bring down to my new flat so im stuck with the weights and only dumbell length bars which are near useless, lol! Waste of effort!

I do recal being about 16-17 and deciding I wanted to bulk up for rugby so roll into nearest serious weight lifting gym in my home town, could barelly bench press 40kg, felt like an epic douche having like this huge long olympic bar with weeny 10kg weights on the end!

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

Rob3rt said:
Ah... Ive got a cheapo weight set to, but the long bar wouldnt fit in my dads car to bring down to my new flat so im stuck with the weights and only dumbell length bars which are near useless, lol! Waste of effort!

I do recal being about 16-17 and deciding I wanted to bulk up for rugby so roll into nearest serious weight lifting gym in my home town, could barelly bench press 40kg, felt like an epic douche having like this huge long olympic bar with weeny 10kg weights on the end!

:biggrin: not a nice scenario. I guess we all have to start somewhere. I only bench approx 35-40 kg now, and i've been at it a few months, but its mainly for strength myself. It would be nice to bulk up a bit, butthe extra weight is not a good idea for cycling, which is my main thing.

Talk about commitment, I cycled in to work this morning IN THIS ! :biggrin: ;)

Dan B

Disengaged member
Rob3rt said:
Body weight for 20-25 reps, then when thats to easy maybe do them one legged in a doorway?
Do them one-legged without the doorway (i.e. you have to balance on the leg you're squatting on) and I think you're far more likely to get a good workout without getting weird kneecap tracking problems due to muscle imbalances.

Sure, you won't be able to squat as low that way, but how useful is a 90 degree bend for cycling anyway?

(This is not medical advice, just a gut feel. Ask a physio)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
coruskate said:
Do them one-legged without the doorway (i.e. you have to balance on the leg you're squatting on) and I think you're far more likely to get a good workout without getting weird kneecap tracking problems due to muscle imbalances.

Sure, you won't be able to squat as low that way, but how useful is a 90 degree bend for cycling anyway?

(This is not medical advice, just a gut feel. Ask a physio)

I meant in the door so you can use your arm to help you balance (as gently or as much as needed) to stop yourself falling over not squatting with back against door frame, sorry if I wasnt clear, I see your point.

I dont know about the 90 degree bend not being any good for cycling, being able to explode out of 90 degree's (yes you do squats slowly and controlled on the most part but for sheer power you would explode upwards pushing your pelvis forward and tightening your core) then id imagine your ability to explode from less drastic angles to accelerate would be improved. Like you, this is just how I would imagine it to work. Could be completelly wrong.

ShinSplint said:
It would be nice to bulk up a bit, butthe extra weight is not a good idea for cycling, which is my main thing.
Yeah, I have no desire to bulk up now, but when I played rugby union for my 6th form, I always felt a bit like a rake and wanted to bulk up a bit, these days, doing the opposite, not that I actualy managed to bulk up much at all back then, im still pretty puny.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Squats are a core muscle exercise as well as thighs so ideal for cycling. I squat 70KG and bench press the same. I do not want to go any further as I am 14 stone now and don't want to drag any more weight up those hills. The gym has been my saviour this winter allowing me to work out while the bike has been sat in the garage looking out at the snow. Although cardio at the gym is so boring. Plus I only pay £26 a month as unfortunately I am over 55.

montage

God Almighty
Did a heavy weights session yesterday and a rowing session today - knees can cope with rowing better than cycling which is good, so may do more of that for fitness. Benching 75kg atm, but may try a 1 rep max test sometime this week - I'm intrigued. Would have done some cycling on the turbo tonight, but I would rather let myself recover for tomorrows swim and cycle.

Top Bottom