Squeaking bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Sirius Sport has developed a squeak. I noticed it whilst pedalling. Since then I've tried to find the source but not luck.

If I get off bike and stand next to it, one hand one handle bars and one on seat and the rock it so the bike effectively is being shaken (rocked) left and right it squeaks like a squeaking floor board. It happens more if I apply a little pressure down on the saddle.

Any ideas.

bpsmith

Veteran
Remove the seatpost and saddle and grease the post and clamp before refitting. That would be a good starting point. Then the hunt is hopefully over...or it is just beginning...

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
^ this- and also try your testing original testing method only holding the handle bar and not the seat and vice versa- start giving yourself pointers to headset/ stem/ seat post/ rail etc.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

I'll give that a whirl tomorrow. It did seem to be coming from further down but I'll try the saddle first and report back.

bpsmith

Veteran
Noise travels amazingly on a bike!

Everything gets magnified and echoes when the frame is flexed. It's not always easy to track down and will often be the last thing you thought it might be, unfortunately.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Remove the seatpost and saddle and grease the post and clamp before refitting. That would be a good starting point. Then the hunt is hopefully over...or it is just beginning...
Gonna try at the weekend but quick ride just now abd riding out the saddle still squeaks. Does that mean anything?

Also, I have engine grease, is that suitable to grease post?

bpsmith

Veteran
Suggests that it isn't saddle related, at face value, but everything moves when cycling do still could be the seatpost. It's the quickest thing to clean and grease, so still worth starting there.

Then start checking and tightening bolts around the bottom bracket area. Namely pedals, chainring bolts and front derailleur brackets, etc.

Also try holding the front brake and push bike back and fourth to see if the noise is headset related.

Then check and tighten bolts around the rear derailleur. Mount, hanger, jockey wheels, etc.

Then post back here for further suggestions if not resolved.

Don't know how engine grease compares to bike grease, so can't comment there.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Suggests that it isn't saddle related, at face value, but everything moves when cycling do still could be the seatpost. It's the quickest thing to clean and grease, so still worth starting there.

Then start checking and tightening bolts around the bottom bracket area. Namely pedals, chainring bolts and front derailleur brackets, etc.

Also try holding the front brake and push bike back and fourth to see if the noise is headset related.

Then check and tighten bolts around the rear derailleur. Mount, hanger, jockey wheels, etc.

Then post back here for further suggestions if not resolved.

Don't know how engine grease compares to bike grease, so can't comment there.
Had a good look befure dismantling bike and it turned out rear pannier rack needed tightening so easily fixed!!

Lots to go at HERE :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom