Squeaky Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

What causes disc brakes to be squeaky? My disc brakes on the front squeak; the squeak only happens when I come to a complete stop (they don't squeak while I'm in the process of braking)

What could cause this?

Thanks in advance

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Give the search function a shot - loads of threads full of advice on the site.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi there

What causes disc brakes to be squeaky? My disc brakes on the front squeak; the squeak only happens when I come to a complete stop (they don't squeak while I'm in the process of braking)

What could cause this?

Thanks in advance
What brakes? What pads? When last adjusted?

vickster

Legendary Member
Ultegra brakes. I don't know what pads and they haven't been adjusted in about 2 years!
Mechanical or Hydraulic?
Sounds like you might want to do some maintenance, adjust, thoroughly clean or change the pads (as above search for what would be best)

Jody

Stubborn git
If it's doing your head in and you haven't touched the brakes in 2 years it might be worth sticking some new pads in and give the discs a thorough clean.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
If it's doing your head in and you haven't touched the brakes in 2 years it might be worth sticking some new pads in and give the discs a thorough clean.
Is it easy to put in new pads? I'm not very good at stuff like this but if its easy enough, I would give it a go

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Saves you buying a bell 🙂

This is actually true. I love riding my One One Inbred in the wet, because it has sintered pads that squeel like hell. Excellent for letting dog walkers (and even wired up joggers) know you are comming.

The Virtue however has organic pads which never squeel. I have to rely on vocal warnigs (and my Hope hub) to let others know I am comming

Kbrook

Veteran
Is it easy to put in new pads? I'm not very good at stuff like this but if its easy enough, I would give it a go
Yes piece of cake, unscrew the pin, remove old pads, push pistons back with plastic tyre lever, inset new pads, replace pin.

Jody

Stubborn git

Really easy.

Remove the pin and the slide the pads out. Use something like a plastic tyre lever (or appropriately covered up screwdriver) to push the piston back into the calipers. Be careful as these are usually ceramic and will crack if mistreated. Drop new pads in. Re-insert the pin and then pump the brakes a couple of times to bring the pistons back in.

2-3 minute job

You might need to eyeball the pad gap to make sure you can see daylight either side and they aren't contacting.

Top Bottom