Squeaky noise/Feeling from Headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

koro

Hi,

I decided to drop my handlebars down, on my Giant Defy 2. Appologies for not knowing all the correct terminology, the spacer from below, I placed back on top of the stack above the stem...

From watching the video on how to go about this job, I thought I followed correctly. Just tighten up enough to take any movement out (with the front wheel up in the air, turn the handlebars to the side, hold the stem and feel for movement)

Now however, when I rode the bike yesterday, I get this kind of a squeaky/noise feeling from the headset, when I turn the handlebars. It`s not a loud sound, just a feeling that winds me up. It`s a new bike and was so quiet before...

Have I overtightened or not tightened it up enough....I hate to think that I have caused some damage..or is there something I should do..

I know this is the place to ask, Globalti sorted me out before with shoe shims....a godsend.

Cheers

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You 'may' have overtightend the tension bolt.

Undo the stem bolts and undo the top bolt 1/4 of a turn, tighten stem bolts.

Alternatively the headset could need greasing..

OP
OP
koro

koro

Ok,,,I feel stupid now....

Steve as you suggested I slacked off the top bolt 1/4 a turn, as that barely felt that it was biting, I took it all apart and re-greased. To be fair it looked pretty dry around the bearings, a liberal amount of grease applied. Bolted it all back together...same as before. A feeling of a noise/grind...

Starting to cuss now that I had ruined my pride and joy with my ham fistedness.. Then a eureka moment...my brake cables and shifter cables were rubbing against each other making that noise. A relief/dumbass moment.. I was so worried that I had screwed up I missed the obvious.
I`ll go away and hide now.

Cheers

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
;)

Just wait till you find a creak and completely dismantle your bike, strip, degrease, rebuild, to then finds its your shoe creaking against the pedal.. :biggrin:

OP
OP
koro

koro

Steve Austin said:
:biggrin:

Just wait till you find a creak and completely dismantle your bike, strip, degrease, rebuild, to then finds its your shoe creaking against the pedal.. :smile:

;) I`ll bear that in mind

C

chillyuk

koro said:
Ok,,,I feel stupid now....

Steve as you suggested I slacked off the top bolt 1/4 a turn, as that barely felt that it was biting, I took it all apart and re-greased. To be fair it looked pretty dry around the bearings, a liberal amount of grease applied. Bolted it all back together...same as before. A feeling of a noise/grind...

Starting to cuss now that I had ruined my pride and joy with my ham fistedness.. Then a eureka moment...my brake cables and shifter cables were rubbing against each other making that noise. A relief/dumbass moment.. I was so worried that I had screwed up I missed the obvious.
I`ll go away and hide now.

Cheers

Brilliant, Love it ;)

Top Bottom