Squeaky Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
I've got Ultegra SPDs, and recently they've developed a creak. Started with the left and is now affecting both pedals.

Only really happens with decent pressure, but is very annoying when climbing.

Any ideas what to try first?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Try some candle wax on the pedal first in case the cleats are squeaking. Failing that, first check for play in the bearings. Then unscrew the axle assembly (the RH pedal has a left-threaded locking collar, cone and cone locknut). If there was no play, add grease and reassemble. If there was play, readjust the bearings. You need 10mm and 7mm spanners. Then add grease and reassemble.

Sharky

Guru
Squeaks are very hard to pin point. Could be the pedals, bottom bracket or something else. Do you have another bike? Could you swap the pedals over and see if the squeak travels with the pedals or stays with the bike. Also have a ride with normal trainers, to eliminate the cause being with the shoes/cleats.
Hope you find it

Lovacott

Über Member
I've got Ultegra SPDs, and recently they've developed a creak. Started with the left and is now affecting both pedals.
Pedal and bottom bracket bearings have an unusual loading on them compared to wheel bearings.

They both have to deal with a constantly changing lateral force (side to side) as well the normal going around in a circle thing that bearings normally do.

If it is a problem with the bottom bracket, you should be able to tell by trying to push and pull one of the cranks side to side (there should be zero play). Same goes for the pedals. Hold the crank steady and try to move the pedal up and down.

I had the same with my bike with the squeak coming on the right (which is my stronger leg). I ended up changing out the pedals and then a few weeks later, I changed out the entire bottom bracket assembly. The bike runs like a dream now and I am now consciously trying to use the same level of force with both legs where I'd never even considered it before.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Quite often it's aluminium deposits on the plastic cleats - certainly was with Looks. Out with a bit of sandpaper, and clean off any black deposits on the cleats. Then apply Mr Sheen or silicon lube to the pedal surfaces/cleat. Sorted.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Cheers - bike's just drying at the moment so will have a look at contact areas in a bit.

I did notice a few clicks at one point on last weeks ride - possibly BB related, but it's only done about 6000km

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My bottom bracket cup and cone assembly had less that 2000k on the clock when it gave up.
My record was 70 miles from brand new to almost total seizure on a UN53 (the last 20 miles home were HARD!). Just a bad unit - I had a UN55 last 9 years' commuting and it was still ok when it came out.

Lovacott

Über Member
My record was 70 miles from brand new to almost total seizure on a UN53 (the last 20 miles home were HARD!). Just a bad unit - I had a UN55 last 9 years' commuting and it was still ok when it came out.

All it needs is for the Chinese piece worker to get one detail wrong, and you end up walking home five years later.

That's the global economy in a nutshell right there.

Top Bottom