Squeaky rim brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

Hi, I know this has been posted before, but I just wondered why they start this. My bike was fine up until eight weeks ago when my rear derailleur came off, since then it has been in the garage with the wheel hanging of the ceiling. I put the bike together yesterday and found that when I used the brakes I had a really loud squeak. What gets on the brakes for this to happen. My plan is to use brake cleaner to resolve this.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Quite often it's the alignment of the block; If it's upset it can end up being (almost minutely) too square on, causing a high frequency vibration. There may or may not be contamination, I'd say alignment is the most likely cause here given that the wheel has been off for a while plus the derailleur event. Google "brake toe in" articles or YouTube clips, find one for your type of brake, and go from there, it should solve the problem. It can often be a two minute job with a multi tool.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Quite often it's the alignment of the block; If it's upset it can end up being (almost minutely) too square on, causing a high frequency vibration. There may or may not be contamination, I'd say alignment is the most likely cause here given that the wheel has been off for a while plus the derailleur event. Google "brake toe in" articles or YouTube clips, find one for your type of brake, and go from there, it should solve the problem. It can often be a two minute job with a multi tool.
What both front and rear from not being used. I've just cleaned the brakes and rims and it has sorted it. Remember the bike went from fine and then stored, I cannot see alignment being the issue on both front and rear.

What both front and rear from not being used. I've just cleaned the brakes and rims and it has sorted it. Remember the bike went from fine and then stored, I cannot see alignment being the issue on both front and rear.
You are right. It is not the alignment. A sudden squeal is usually a sign of contamination. In your case chain oil could have come onto the rim. You need to clean it properly with soapy water and if the problem persists, with something abrasive like fine water paper or steel wool.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

You are right. It is not the alignment. A sudden squeal is usually a sign of contamination. In your case chain oil could have come onto the rim. You need to clean it properly with soapy water and if the problem persists, with something abrasive like fine water paper or steel wool.
It seems OK at the moment, I cleaned I thoughrly.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
After cleaning, toeing in the pads, sanding, and all of the common solutions to this problem, I have found one last resort. Sometimes you can solve the problem by making the pads DIRTY. You can try a little dust, or talcum powder.

wonderloaf

Veteran
After cleaning, toeing in the pads, sanding, and all of the common solutions to this problem, I have found one last resort. Sometimes you can solve the problem by making the pads DIRTY. You can try a little dust, or talcum powder.
Talcum powder? Doesn't this act as a lubricant, did you try this and stay safe?

threefingerjoe

Über Member
worked just fine. Stopped the squealing...and stopped the bike.

Top Bottom