Squeaky suspension seatpost

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by ohnovino, 9 Aug 2012.

1. ohnovino

ohnovino Large Member

I'm getting a squeak from my hybrid's seatpost whenever I hit a big bump. I've taken the post out and re-greased it, checked for cracks on the post or anything else in that area, removed and re-attached the saddle and tightened the clamp. The only thing left that could cause the squeak is the useless suspension "feature".

I'll probably replace it for a normal seatpost soon, but meanwhile does anyone know how to stop the damn thing squeaking? When I had the post out there's a hex bolt on the inside which I guess I could either (a) tighten or (b) loosen to muck about with the insides; I didn't fancy doing either when I don't know what I'm doing.

2. ushills

ushills Senior Member

My USE xcr also squeaks and no problems in 10+ years, I think it's the plastic guides inside.

3. RecordAceFromNew

RecordAceFromNew Swinging Member

If it is a cheap suspension seatpost from a hybrid then turning the hex bolt clockwise will squish a piece of elastomer (the sole "suspension" povided) inside, kind of like increasing preload on sprung suspension forks.

As you said they are next to useless. I would either leave it or junk it and replace with a normal alloy post saving you carrying an extra couple of hundred grams or so.

ohnovino likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    ohnovino

ohnovino Large Member

Thanks - a couple of turns on the bolt and the squeak's gone. Unfortunately that's one less excuse for getting rid of it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice