Squeaky suspension seatpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ohnovino

Large Member
I'm getting a squeak from my hybrid's seatpost whenever I hit a big bump. I've taken the post out and re-greased it, checked for cracks on the post or anything else in that area, removed and re-attached the saddle and tightened the clamp. The only thing left that could cause the squeak is the useless suspension "feature".

I'll probably replace it for a normal seatpost soon, but meanwhile does anyone know how to stop the damn thing squeaking? When I had the post out there's a hex bolt on the inside which I guess I could either (a) tighten or (b) loosen to muck about with the insides; I didn't fancy doing either when I don't know what I'm doing.

ushills

Veteran
My USE xcr also squeaks and no problems in 10+ years, I think it's the plastic guides inside.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If it is a cheap suspension seatpost from a hybrid then turning the hex bolt clockwise will squish a piece of elastomer (the sole "suspension" povided) inside, kind of like increasing preload on sprung suspension forks.

As you said they are next to useless. I would either leave it or junk it and replace with a normal alloy post saving you carrying an extra couple of hundred grams or so.

OP
OP
ohnovino

ohnovino

Large Member
If it is a cheap suspension seatpost from a hybrid then turning the hex bolt clockwise will squish a piece of elastomer (the sole "suspension" povided) inside, kind of like increasing preload on sprung suspension forks.

As you said they are next to useless. I would either leave it or junk it and replace with a normal alloy post saving you carrying an extra couple of hundred grams or so.

Thanks - a couple of turns on the bolt and the squeak's gone. Unfortunately that's one less excuse for getting rid of it!

Top Bottom