Squeaky suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Hi Motoring peeps,

We have a 10 year old Renault Grand Scenic which is starting to show its age although it's fairly reliable.
My wife becomes increasingly concerned about the noises it makes when going over speedbumps. The suspension does seem to have dropped a little in that there is a road with speed bumps near us that it used to have no problem with but now generates alarming scraping noises if the boot and / or back seat is full. Mostly it just really squeaks, especially once the day has warmed up.

Anyone know if I should be worried about this - or is it just an age thing?

It was MOTd today and passed with almost flying colours (needed a couple of light bulbs).

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son no. 2's Peugeot Tepee does the same: it's 13 years old and some of the plastics / parts squeak a bit. However, like your Renault it passed it's MOT only needing a tie strap.

It's an old-ish car. Persomally, unless you're wanting to change it, I'd not worry. The MOT tester didn't find any issues.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Son no. 2's Peugeot Tepee does the same: it's 13 years old and some of the plastics / parts squeak a bit. However, like your Renault it passed it's MOT only needing a tie strap.

It's an old-ish car. Persomally, unless you're wanting to change it, I'd not worry. The MOT tester didn't find any issues.

It's not me worrying. I just need it to last until October* when the ID4 arrives. My wife is persistently of the opinion that the car is going to gasp it's last at any given second.

*or the eventual month in the future

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's not me worrying. I just need it to last until October* when the ID4 arrives. My wife is persistently of the opinion that the car is going to gasp it's last at any given second.

this is not a solve-able problem.

you could try telling her not to drive so quickly over speed bumps, but neither I nor cyclechat cannot be held liable for the damage that may cause to your head.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
this is not a solve-able problem.

you could try telling her not to drive so quickly over speed bumps, but neither I nor cyclechat cannot be held liable for the damage that may cause to your head.
It's me that's a bit gung ho with speed bumps, and I would not advise advising my other half. That never ends well!

CXRAndy

Guru
It will be the bushings in the control, suspension top hats, arms, drop links or anti roll bar mounts. A quick test is to spray some liquid grease or silicon to pin pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Being that age worthwhile doing a general replacement.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check the rear anti roll bar body mounts - these went on my car eventually, causing a knock. £10 part -just rubber mounts. The car is now 20 years old and I don't need a £40k leccy car to replace it. I ride my 30 year old MTB to work, as that's the best thing for the job, not the car, not the road bike, and certainly not the full bouncer otherwise that will cost insane amounts of money = leccy car........😄

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
It will be the bushings in the control, suspension top hats, arms, drop links or anti roll bar mounts. A quick test is to spray some liquid grease or silicon to pin pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Being that age worthwhile doing a general replacement.

I'm generally replacing the car - just not quite yet!! Just need (hopefully) 4 more months out of it...

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I ride my 30 year old MTB to work, as that's the best thing for the job, not the car, not the road bike, and certainly not the full bouncer otherwise that will cost insane amounts of money = leccy car........😄
I walk downstairs to get to work. But - my new job comes with a company car that can be used for personal also, so that's what's going to replace the Renault.

Top Bottom