squeeky wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriss2.0

hi, got an odd one hear,

did some dirt riding, sometimes in wet clay ,mud and even sand.

and riding while dirty it was fine, anyways i gave it a clean,

now iv got this weird click-squeak-click-squeak thing happening about once a revolution.

odly enough, it only presents itself at speed and when im sitting on it,

if i walk with it or just spin the wheel, i get nothing.

deffo not the brakes, and i dont think its the spokes as i checked them, it happens both on frewheel and with pedaling.

any ideas? (driving me nuts!)

Stupid question, how did you clean the bike. It could be as simple as no grease in the bearing as it got washed out or a quick release lever catching something.

Can you locate where the noise is coming from on the wheel. I.e rim, spoke, hub etc?

gbb

Legendary Member
Two things. Have you a pie plate/spoke protector fitted ? Had that squeak on the wifes bike before.
Second, is the hub sealed with a rubber seal. My Fulcrums developed a squeak, I ran some oil round the seal, squeak gone.

OP
OP
chriss2.0

chriss2.0

cleaned bike with a bucket of soapy water an a sponge

nope i dont have a pie plate, but i will oil the seal, maybe there's still some sand in there

OP
OP
chriss2.0

chriss2.0

nope i tried but i cant pin point the noise, it only appears when im actually on the bike riding it. and it happens at 12 mph or so

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's the conical rubber seal on the hub. You washed out the grease with your soapy water.

Last edited:

Skipper

Give the wheels a good service. Take the hubs out and re-grease the bearings, in fact ... clean and grease everything! Then put it all back carefully with the correct tension/torques. At least you can eliminate this if it makes no difference. (p.s. check YouTube for the 'know how', I did and that's how I learnt to do it).

Top Bottom