squeking brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matt joy

Hi

I cleaned my bike down today with some pedros foam spray and hot water. I went out soon after and both my brakes are squeking when used. Everything is dry and i cant see any change to the break block, what could have caused this?

matt

Pauluk

I assume these are rim brakes. I'm no expert but if they weren't squealing/squeaking before the clean may be you have cleaned away something on the surface of the rims/brake pads that was reducing the braking efficiency but keeping them quiet. May be you have coated the pads with something from the cleaner. Either way I'm sure they will recover.
Now they are clean you could check the toe in.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I assume these are rim brakes. I'm no expert but if they weren't squealing/squeaking before the clean may be you have cleaned away something on the surface of the rims/brake pads that was reducing the braking efficiency but keeping them quiet. May be you have coated the pads with something from the cleaner. Either way I'm sure they will recover.
Now they are clean you could check the toe in.
that sounds about right,i always clean the rim with a wet cloth and then dry cloth to finish and check my tyre and walls at at the same time,the big question do they stop the bike?

OP
OP
M

matt joy

they are rim brakes.

ive dried the rim and all looks clean. They do stop but the sound is just very annoying! Could it be worth giving the blokes a little rub with some fine sandpaper to try and get rid of any oil/lube of the block itself?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If canti or v brake toe them in. Undo pads, put a bit of card on rear edge of pad, apply brakes, then tighten up. Makes the front of the pad touch first, stopping the squeal.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i always use dry kitchen towel or dry rag and really push hard wiping rims then clean bit of towel on each brake block wiping them - there is a lot of black comes off even after washing

Top Bottom