Squirrels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, I was always told squirrels gathered their nuts and then went to sleep for the winter.

Well, if that's true why are am I knee deep in them? On the way to work I see dozens! Haven't run one over yet (they're too quick).

Has it got so cold they've had to get up again for a bit of a feed or was the autumn so abundant that they never needed to go to sleep? Or maybe they don't go to sleep at all and I have been lied to!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm not sure that greys ever hibernate. Maybe the reds do, but I think they are one of those species that can sleep for a while, but wake up to forage if there's a warm spell.

With a huge abundance of food, especially in urban areas, greys don't need to hibernate I think.

A quick look online suggests that no, squirrels don't hibernate but they do cache food for the leaner months. Apparently that applies to reds and greys.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Update - more 'research' online suggests that yes, reds can become torpid for short periods, but not a whole winter hibernation.

longers

Legendary Member
And knee deep is a lot!

I'd like to put up bird feeders at work but they'd mainly be squirrel feeders and the bloke who has to get up and reset the alarm wouldn't appreciate it.
I love their agility and think they can be beautiful to watch even if they're greys.

longers

Legendary Member
I've only ever heard bad PR for greys. They're still good movers though.

byegad

Legendary Member
They don't hibernate. IIRC only the edible dormouse and some bats hibernate. Hedgehogs, squirrels and some other mammals doze through the worst of winter and eat when they can. Squirrels must be feeling the pinch and getting out and about to find food.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Do they make good eating?

Apparently so. I've heard of a butcher (up in Northumberland I think) who sells them. Not much different to small rabbit really, and as they are also vermin (well, greys), it's a good use of resources.

Oh, and you know how you see humane squirrel traps in catalogues? The ones that catch the thing alive? Problem is, once you've caught it, it's illegal to release it again, and you're supposed to kill it....

Last fact before I log off. The 'glass' slipper of the Cinderella story is probably a misunderstanding of French. Verre is glass, but Vair is squirrel fur, a much more suitable slipper material.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Squirrel is nice. Theres not much meat on them to be honest, but tasty nontheless.

A .22 to the head. Skin them and cook like rabbit. Lovely.

Top Bottom