SRAM/Campag compatability conundrum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brockers

I'm thinking of maybe slowly weening myself of Campag, essentially cos I don't want to go down the 11 speed route, and as the other players have stopped at a nice neat ten gear-wise, I can't imagine that 11 speed will be around forever. So I'm on the lookout for a SRAM force rear mech in this transition phase as I've heard they work fine with Campag 10 speed Ergos. Does anybody know if this is the case?

I'll give the ubergeeks at Weightweenies a try too as this is the sort of technical issue that gets them all moist !

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
This?

Imho they will all go for 11, 12, 13 speed etc. until they figure out how to build a light, efficient continuous drive...

OP
OP
brockers

brockers

Nice find RecordAce! However, I've got those lovely old Record 2000 10 hubs built into Open Pros which I couldn't bear to get rid of, so it looks as if things are a bit more complicated! (And my powers of concentration aren't being helped by the fact that saffron Burrows is on telly in 'Enigma' at the moment.)

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Nice find RecordAce! However, I've got those lovely old Record 2000 10 hubs built into Open Pros which I couldn't bear to get rid of, so it looks as if things are a bit more complicated! (And my powers of concentration aren't being helped by the fact that saffron Burrows is on telly in 'Enigma' at the moment.)

I am surprised you can still recall your Record hub is 2000 vintage with the telly on, no matter how lovely those hubs are... :biggrin:

If you are attached to the wheel and indeed cassette you just need some suitable spacers (remembering for cassettes sram and shimano are interchangeable).

MartinC

Über Member
Brockers, some things to bear in mind.

Why do you think that SRAM and Shimano have stopped at 10?

The velonews article's dated 2008. In 2010 Campag changed the cable pull for 10 speed when they changed the rear mech geometry.

JTEK might make a Shiftmate that caters for this combination if you really want to go down this route.

OP
OP
brockers

brockers

Why do you think that SRAM and Shimano have stopped at 10?

I think they're watching Campag's sales with interest. When 11 speed came out, all I heard from Shimano and SRAM (and Campag!) users was what's the point of another gear? but that could be down to brand tribalism. So, I'm thinking that the powers at the two big Ss would find it difficult to push 11 speed to their customers, at least for the time being. (I also remember seeing patents for 14 speeds posted a few years ago, but the dish was extreme and it would have compromised the wheel bracing.) Then again, I don't know what else groupset manufacturers can look at to drive sales, other than making things lighter, or bunging more and more sprockets onto the cassette. Or adding little servo motors to the mechs!

The velonews article's dated 2008. In 2010 Campag changed the cable pull for 10 speed when they changed the rear mech geometry.

TBH it's all too much of a faff mixing and matching. I'll stick to what I have until I can justify changing the whole groupset. If I do.

MartinC

Über Member
When 11 speed came out, all I heard from Shimano and SRAM (and Campag!) users was what's the point of another gear?

Tee hee. That's exactly what they all said when we went from 5 to 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 too. Now that Apex has been endorsed by the pros the pressure will be on to fill the gaps in a wide range cassette. The others will catch up with Di2 soon too.

Will1985

Über Member
Were some of them using 11-32 on the Zoncolan then?!
Yes some of the SRAM riders were. Supposedly Millar used an 11-36 cassette at one point. The use of Apex also goes to show that componentry level isn't a big deal. If it can get Contador up Zoncolan...

It's getting to the point where the spacing of road bikes will have to widen to at least 135 to accomodate these extra gears.

Top Bottom