SRAM cassette with Shimano sti's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I cant seem to find anything any where but does anyone know if it is possible to use a 10 spd SRAM Force cassette with Shimano 10 spd Dura Ace sti's without any shifting problems? The derailiers are dura ace too. I am sure I read somewhere that SRAM and Shimano are compatable, but need to double check.

My current cassette is a 12-25 but I feel like I need a little bit extra at either end and notice SRAM do a 11-26... This makes sense?

One of my bikes run 8 sp sora sti woth a n 8sp SRAM cassette no bother; I'm unsure about 10 spd though.

OP
OP
Davywalnuts

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Thanks!

I have read about some SRAM cassettes not working with 10sp Shimano hubs, but mines got a 1mm space on a 8/9 speed hub so that bit should be fine... Shops are no good at helping...

redjedi

Über Member
I always thought that SRAM and Shimano were the same spacing. I used an 8 speed SRAM cassette with Shim shifters without any problems

Someone who knows what they're talking about will be along shortly

Sram and Shimano cassettes are totally interchangable with each other and no issues at all with shifting.

A couple of points though, if you have the odd ball Dura Ace freehub with the deep splines you can only use Shimano cassettes, shimano in their infinite wisdom did a short spell using deep splines, god knows why but they soon went back to shallow. Also on the Shimano 10sp cassettes you may need to use a spacer, look at the back and if there is a raised ring about 3mm from the splines use the spacer, but when using Sram you don't need the spacer as the mounting is correctly machined.

He says he doesn't have a Shimano 10sp-only cassette, 2 posts up...

Yes - if you have a 8/9/10sp hub, are running a 10sp Shimano cassette on it with the 1mm spacer behind it, then you can use a SRAM 10sp cassette, no worries.

SRAM will recommend you use a SRAM chain, but they would, wouldn't they !
Use SRAM, SHimano, KMC, whatever.

andy_wrx said:
He says he doesn't have a Shimano 10sp-only cassette, 2 posts up...

Yes - if you have a 8/9/10sp hub, are running a 10sp Shimano cassette on it with the 1mm spacer behind it, then you can use a SRAM 10sp cassette, no worries.

SRAM will recommend you use a SRAM chain, but they would, wouldn't they !
Use SRAM, SHimano, KMC, whatever.

Yep I know that, I did manage to learn to read when I was at school, however he also asked in the 1st post about using 10 speed cassettes etc, which I think if/when you learn to read from the first post is what I answered, have a nice day Andy :rofl:

OP
OP
Davywalnuts

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Thanks for the updates!

And thanks for the confirmation! Am sure the new cassette will be back on here for sale if not!

Top Bottom