SRAM chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Calum

Hi guys,

I need to fit a new chain to my road bike and have decided to go for a SRAM chain, due to the ability to take it on and off with ease. However, the bike concerned, is 8-speed and I can only find 9-speed chains on the net. Would I be able to fit one of these to my bike? I would guess that i might need to take a few links out, to make the chain shorter, but that's a very un-educated guess! The bike's equipped with Shimano Sora if that helps.

Thanks! :smile:

OP
OP
C

Calum

tandemman

I use sram 9 speed chains on 8 and 9 speed setups, this is so that I always have the correct powerlink, my road bike has 8 speed sora and a PC991 chain and shifts perfectly.

PpPete

Legendary Member
+1 for KMC
My best bike has a KMC 9 speed, hack has KMC 8 speed, wife's SS has 1/8 KMC chain. Put a SRAM 9 speed on her best bike - but didn't like it as much.

Chrisz

Über Member
Alternatively, you can use a 9 speed chain on your 8 speed set-up no problems ;)

jpembroke

I was using Wipperman chains but have recently gone off them. The quick links can be a pain to connect and they have to be the correct way up or they are prone to skipping (mainly on the smallest sprocket). SRAM chains are fine but seem to stretch quicker than other brands. KMC chains are the way forward.

Top Bottom