SRAM Eagle 12-Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
But on the other hand you save twenty quid by not having a front mech.

Tin Pot

Guru
I like anything that makes a system simpler, I'd use singlespeed if I could race Ironman on it.

How much are you losing on 50x32 against a 34x27? I think the bottom end would rule me out - I need low gear for the hills.

Here you are

50 x 32 = 42.2"
34 x 27 = 34.0"

Technical. Gear Inch Chart.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Erm, no - that chart gives a 50T chainring, not 50T cassette!
Assuming a 27" wheel and 32T chainring, the 50T sprocket is 17.3", which is ridiculously small.
At some point, I'm going to go 9 speed on my tourer, with a 12-36 cassette and probably a 34T chainring.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Pfffft. Compact chainset from the spares heap, with the 50T ring taken off.
Cheap MTB rear mech, 12-32 cassette, 7 speed chain and a cheap gripshifter.
Gears from 81" down to 30", with a 36T chainring :okay:

Erm, no - that chart gives a 50T chainring, not 50T cassette!
Assuming a 27" wheel and 32T chainring, the 50T sprocket is 17.3", which is ridiculously small.
At some point, I'm going to go 9 speed on my tourer, with a 12-36 cassette and probably a 34T chainring.

My fault, as I still think in terms of chainring being quoted/wrote first

Not had any issues with a 50/34 chainset, & 12-25 on my blue Ribble yet, (although the '25' did see use on The Strines, & ascending East Chevin)

Mb49

Regular
Honestly . Is it really worth £830-£900 for the complete drivetrain, plus £300-£400 a year for Cassette and chain!? I've got a 1x11 and a 2x10. I can see a few slight advantages with a 1x set up ,but can see some big disadvantages with it also. Personally i'd have a well thought threw 2x10 set up every time.

Top Bottom