SRam NX 11 speed....any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

I've been looking at Specialized Sirrus bikes lately, may as well, as nothing is available anyway.
I like the idea of the 'Future Shock' on the stem and the top bar slope gives a decent stand-over height (in the S).
However, Specislized seem to offer pretty poor specificaiton for the money compared to many other brands.
For example, the Sirrus 4.0, which has an RRP of £1,599 (and is the second highest Sirrus spec) comes with a Shimano Sora rear derailleur!
Everything else is OK (Teckto HD R289 hydraulic discs). Seems strange having a low end gear set on a bike of that price?

The X4.0 is more of a gravel set up and has different tyres and a SRam NX 11 speed gear set. I like the idea of a simpler,single gear set, but would rather have 12 speed than 11. However, the main gripe is that the NX has fairly poor to mediocre reviews and is accepted as the second lowest set in the SRam stable.
Otherwise the same as the 4.0 other than the brakesare HD R510's instead of R289's.
The X4.0 retails at £1,499, so a little less (strangely?)
The X5.0 is a carbon frame and Shimano SLX 12 speed gear set, so much better....but much more money to at over £2k.

Would you pay around £1,500 for a bike with low end gear sets?
For a lot less I can get a Giant Fastroad SL1 with Shimano 105 or for about the same a Cube SL Road SL with ultegra?
Is the Sirrus really worth sacrificing the general spec just for the frame?

Is the SRam NX 11 speed any good or a low end compromise too far?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Specialized spend a lot in advertising and they do have a good name, equally Giant so you pay for that.
As well as looking at specs look at what warranty is being offered and after sales, should you need it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Lifetime frame and fork warranty on Specialized and Giant and extensive dealer network.
Not so much with Cube.
What’s the issue with the Giant? Availability?
I’d focus on frame and fit not so much groupset, that can always be upgraded as bits west out (and as a newbie, you probably wouldn’t notice that much difference).
However, 12 speed cassettes and chains cost rather more to replace than 9 or 10 speed

The last bike I bought new was 2.5k with a mid level SRAM 11 speed groupset which is what I wanted (it does have a titanium frame however :biggrin:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Also, Would you place any value and thus flavour your decision on the 'Future Shock' system on the Sirrus?
i.e. vs the Giant Fastroad Or others, which don't have it?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
No as I ride 90% or more on roads, seems like some sort of gimmick for off road riding

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
NX is considered a decent solid option, SX is the bottom of the Eagle range and I would avoid. I have an SX shod MTB and have changed the rear mech to SLX

Top Bottom