1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sram power links

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Elmer Fudd, 3 Sep 2007.

1. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Can these be fitted to a Shimano chain and which one if you can ? I think its a CH-HG50 chain as it's on a 21 speed hybrid.

TIA

Elmer

2. chris42

chris42 New Member

yes you can.
    you will need a 7 speed one.

3. Do SRAM make a 7-speed chain ?

I thought 6, 7 & 8 all used the same chain, it's just 9 & 10 which are narrower.

4. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

The 7 speed SRAM links always used to be plain metal colour (silver).

5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Cheers Chris42 and Tim. Would this make life a lot easier when I split my chain for it's first clean up in a year :ohmy: for more frequent clean ups considering I was bought up on the old three part split links ? I'd rather have a couple of links in me rucksak than a chain splitter then can't find the Shimano rivets in the bottom of me bag.

6. barq

barq Senior Member

See also the SRAM FAQ

Of course SRAM don't recommend using their links on Shimano chains - but they would say that wouldn't they? :ohmy: Loads of people do it and I've never heard of a problem.

7. Johnny Thin

Johnny Thin New Member

I wouldn't use them - mine keep snapping unexpectedly. This happened to me last Friday when I didn't have any spares, luckily found a shop nearby. They gave me a different sort with 2 pins on the same side which you bend towards you to clip the plate in opposite.

8. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman New Member

They sound like the Sigma ones that I've been using over the past couple of years (cost a couple of quid for a pack of two)
    Quicklink2.jpg
    Quicklink1.jpg
    I've used the SRAM ones with no problems but now I'm used to the Sigma ones I prefer them (though unlike SRAM you should only use them once).

9. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

You've been very unlucky! I have never heard of any others round here that have failed on either mtbs or road bikes over the past 10 years. Infact, chain 'snapping' has become a thing of the past since using SRAM links, as there is no weakening associated with removing the chain for periodic cleaning.

10. Johnny Thin

Johnny Thin New Member

Yep, them's them.

It's happened 3x since I started using them 3 yrs ago - twice on the same ride! Other non SRAM-linked chains have snapped when they were coming up for replacement.

11. barq

barq Senior Member

As a matter of interest where did they fail? Did the pin come out or did they break through the plate?

12. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

Chains fail for loads of reasons, i would be really interested to see if the powerlink failed or if the chain failed at the powerlink.
    There is a difference

13. I've run SRAM chains with powerlinks on 7sp MTB and 8sp road & TT bikes, and KMC chain with missing link on 10sp for several years without any problem.

The only time I've had a chain fail it was a Shimano one, at the joining pin and I assumed I'd not put it in right...

14. I'm so glad I had one tonight (SRAM Powerlink);fitted a new chain, oiled up and tested the gears 'there's a funny ratchety noise!'. When I fitted the chain back I had missed on of the guides for the jockey wheels:blush:, at least the power link allowed me to quickly correct it.