Sram power links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris42

yes you can.
you will need a 7 speed one.

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Cheers Chris42 and Tim. Would this make life a lot easier when I split my chain for it's first clean up in a year :ohmy: for more frequent clean ups considering I was bought up on the old three part split links ? I'd rather have a couple of links in me rucksak than a chain splitter then can't find the Shimano rivets in the bottom of me bag.

barq

See also the SRAM FAQ

Of course SRAM don't recommend using their links on Shimano chains - but they would say that wouldn't they? :ohmy: Loads of people do it and I've never heard of a problem.

Johnny Thin

I wouldn't use them - mine keep snapping unexpectedly. This happened to me last Friday when I didn't have any spares, luckily found a shop nearby. They gave me a different sort with 2 pins on the same side which you bend towards you to clip the plate in opposite.

Johnny Thin said:
I wouldn't use them - mine keep snapping unexpectedly. This happened to me last Friday when I didn't have any spares, luckily found a shop nearby. They gave me a different sort with 2 pins on the same side which you bend towards you to clip the plate in opposite.

They sound like the Sigma ones that I've been using over the past couple of years (cost a couple of quid for a pack of two)
Quicklink2.jpg

Quicklink1.jpg

I've used the SRAM ones with no problems but now I'm used to the Sigma ones I prefer them (though unlike SRAM you should only use them once).

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I wouldn't use them - mine keep snapping unexpectedly.

You've been very unlucky! I have never heard of any others round here that have failed on either mtbs or road bikes over the past 10 years. Infact, chain 'snapping' has become a thing of the past since using SRAM links, as there is no weakening associated with removing the chain for periodic cleaning.

Johnny Thin

Yep, them's them.

It's happened 3x since I started using them 3 yrs ago - twice on the same ride! Other non SRAM-linked chains have snapped when they were coming up for replacement.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Chains fail for loads of reasons, i would be really interested to see if the powerlink failed or if the chain failed at the powerlink.
There is a difference

I've run SRAM chains with powerlinks on 7sp MTB and 8sp road & TT bikes, and KMC chain with missing link on 10sp for several years without any problem.

The only time I've had a chain fail it was a Shimano one, at the joining pin and I assumed I'd not put it in right...

I'm so glad I had one tonight (SRAM Powerlink);fitted a new chain, oiled up and tested the gears 'there's a funny ratchety noise!'. When I fitted the chain back I had missed on of the guides for the jockey wheels:blush:, at least the power link allowed me to quickly correct it.

Top Bottom