SRAM Rival 2009 front mech trim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skwerl

Question primarily for SRAM owners.
In previous years front mech trim was on the inner ring. For 2009 SRAM changed this to be on the outer but I don't see why.
I can get to the first 7 sprockets off the innner ring but get chain rub on 9/9/10, and I can hit all 10 on the outer so why the need to trim on the outer?
I've tried tuning the setup to eek more sprockets off the inner but to no avail. Anyone got any tips on how to improve on this? Am I missing something obvious? Chainset and BB are all SRAM so it's not an axle length/alignment issue.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I agree and have exactly the same situation. ;)

In fact, when I was talking to Belinda @ Condor, she highlighted this matter before the bike arived. She said she had been riding a SRAM Rival (some prototype, apparently) and had found this and so was giving me a 'heads up'. She reckoned it might be something to do with the front derailleur being pretty thin.

It certainly seems poor and I can't understand why - except that it might be because I have a compact double 50/34. Is it different on a 52/42 or whatever ?

OP
OP
S

skwerl

yes but I should be able to get past 7 on the inner ring. I'd be happy to get 1-8.
It's not so much that I'm looking to solve a problem. I'm more interested in why SRAM would do this. leaving the trim on the inner ring would allow all 10 to be hit off both rings

bonj2

skwerl said:
Question primarily for SRAM owners.
In previous years front mech trim was on the inner ring. For 2009 SRAM changed this to be on the outer but I don't see why.
I can get to the first 7 sprockets off the innner ring but get chain rub on 9/9/10, and I can hit all 10 on the outer so why the need to trim on the outer?
I've tried tuning the setup to eek more sprockets off the inner but to no avail. Anyone got any tips on how to improve on this? Am I missing something obvious? Chainset and BB are all SRAM so it's not an axle length/alignment issue.

on mine, the trim is on the big ring position.
I use about 1 to 7 on the inner (small), think it starts rubbing on about 7 or 8. Don' find it a problem though. I can use 2 to 10 on the large untrimmed without it rubbing, and trimming it will enable it to not rub on 1. In practice though i rarely use 1 and 2 on the big ring.
I've got 2009 rival groupset but FSA cranks on 68mm shell, and shimano hub. if that helps.

OP
OP
S

skwerl

bonj said:
on mine, the trim is on the big ring position.
I use about 1 to 7 on the inner (small), think it starts rubbing on about 7 or 8. Don' find it a problem though. I can use 2 to 10 on the large untrimmed without it rubbing, and trimming it will enable it to not rub on 1. In practice though i rarely use 1 and 2 on the big ring.
I've got 2009 rival groupset but FSA cranks on 68mm shell, and shimano hub. if that helps.

same as me then (except chainset). you should be able to hit everything on the big ring without trimming if you tweak your cable pull. I know it's moot as you wouldn't want to do it. I just think that 1-7 out of 10 is a bit crap. i'd expect to see 8 as well. After all the cassette is no wider than an 8-speed so it's not like the chain is under any more stress than older systems

Top Bottom