SRAM Rival front mech trim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skwerl

A couple of days ago I picked up a new bike with SRAM Rival. So far so good. It seems pretty decent kit.

The SRAM tech docs state that the front mech shifter allows trimming, which seems normal to me but I can't get it to trim.

The doc states that there are three shift positions, just like the rear mech shifter. The first two clicks are for trimming on the small ring and the third click shifts up. I only get one click and that's the upshift.

When on the big ring the first down-shift action trims a bit and the second drops to the small ring so that seems to work ok. I just don't get the 3 clicks on the upshift.

Anyone?

jiggerypokery

Über Member
I've just forked out for the 2009 Force and in doing my research I found the following issues noted by users of the releases prior to 2009 so this may be true for you too.

SRAM decided that trim would only be for the inner ring (as per campy I think) as the tolerance for the outer ring was so good that it would not be necessary to trim for it. Over time users found that trim was necessary and the ability to trim for the big ring was added to the 2009 Force release. Now this was a trickle down from Red and I think it went in to 2009 Rival but not sure. so it is possible that you have Rival prior to 2009 and you're just not going to be able to get a good trim.

Do a Google on SRAM trim problems and you should get some more gripes/info.

Stu

OP
OP
S

skwerl

Thanks. Found some more info. Some of the online tech docs aren't year-specific. If you read the docs specific to the shifters you get this statement:
"The left hand shifter offers a trim function for the front derailleur to allow the chain running smoothly on the small chainring in extreme positions. (Shift position 1 and 2 is for the small chainring. Shift position 3 is for the large chainring.)"

But, if you read the general SRAM Road components 2009 product document, which covers all components, you get this statement:
"The left hand shifter offers a trim function for the front derailleur to avoid chain rub in extreme positions. From the small chainring position, the first shift changes to the large chainring position. From the large chainring position, a slight release changes to the large
chainring trim position. Alternately, a big release changes to the small chainring position."

So completeley contradictory information, depending on what year your components are. My shifter is doing what it's s'posed to. SRAM need to sort out their documentation though.

Top Bottom