SRAM Rival Groupset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alp1950

About to get my new bike built up by LBS around Kinesis Racelight TK frame.

Need to decide about groupset. The logical choice would seem to be Shimano 105, however demo'd the SRAM Rival recently & really liked the feel of the hood and double tap levers. However not many people seem to be riding these, and I'm a bit nervous about being an early adopter of what is still a fairly new product, not least as the LBS doesn't have much experience.

Anyone out there using the SRAM?

I've not used the Rival but all the reports I've seen have been good. And a Kona rep know LOVES it

shooter560

I started out using Ultegra, tried a mates bike with Rival and loved it, for me it felt better than the ultegra so I made the move and loved it, but then I was bitten by the 'must have carbon bling' bug so stepped up to Force, this was smoother than the Rival, so I'd guess it would be on par with Dura Ace. I have just built a new bike and its fitted with Sram Red, its too good for me but I love it, I just want to change gear for the hell of it.

Having used and enjoyed Rival and Force, I'd say unless you must have carbon or need to save a few grams Rival is every bit as good. Red is silly money but its the shifters that are well worth it.

Go for it, the best money and move you could ask for in my eyes.

thebikemarket

Just from a commercial point of view - we are currently selling more SRAM products than Shimano.

And from a personal point of view... I've just fitted SRAM Rival Levers, Rear Mech, Front Mech, Chainset and chain on my wife's bike (replacing 105) - the gear changing is significantly more precise.

Paul
thebikemarket.com

PpPete

Legendary Member
Looks like good stuff...
Can you help a newbie with some info?
Do you need a SRAM specific hub to take the SRAM cassettes? or will they fit on Shimano hubs? or run it with the Shimano cassette.

thebikemarket

No you don't necessarily need a SRAM hub to take a SRAM cassette - Shimano cassettes are compatible with SRAM hubs. Just ensure that the number of cogs on the cassette match the gear setup on the hub. i.e. Don't sit a 10 speed cassette on a 7/8 speed hub.

Paul
thebikemarket.com

Top Bottom