SRAM Rival Groupset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Okay, I want a new groupset for my Giant Defy 3, currently running on a Sora. By the beginning of August I want a new groupset and probably a new rear wheel to complete my upgrade.

Anyway, does anyone know whether this groupset is any good and what would it compare to Shimano wise? A tiagra, a 105? What do you all think? Should I wait a bit longer and look for a 2nd hand Ultegra groupset? Thoughts if you would please - understand that the Boardman's use this set and shopping around they seem to be quite reasonably priced but are they any good people?

redddraggon

Blondie
Rival is better than Ultegra (apart from the Chainset)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
In use you won't notice any difference between the equivalent Shimano offering, but the shifting is different to shimano.
Price wise Rival is about Ultegra level, but if you consider you can get a Ultegra SL for £449 compared to the Rival price of £474 on Merlin i know what i would choose
Ulegra sl
Rival

Of course you could always buy a 105 Groupset and save some money, and you really won't be able to notice any difference anyway
Shimano 105 £369.95!!!

GrasB

Veteran
SA is right up to a point, in the UK the Rival groupset is priced close to Ultegra SL, however in terms of 'factory price' it's closer to the 105 groupset.

Garz

Squat Member
Damn you SA, I was tempted looking at groupsets the other day and the black 105 at that price is truly sliding the card out of the wallet.. must push back in!

redddraggon

Blondie
Steve Austin said:
In use you won't notice any difference between the equivalent Shimano offering, but the shifting is different to shimano.
Price wise Rival is about Ultegra level, but if you consider you can get a Ultegra SL for £449 compared to the Rival price of £474 on Merlin i know what i would choose
Ulegra sl
Rival

Well the ultegra you have no option but a 53/39 and 12-23. Whereas you can get rival with any cassette and chainset for the same price from Fudges:

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=73462

Shimano? Rival?

Obviously this is only a personal opinion but...
I bought a Boardman last year and couldn't get on with the Rival. After a few months I gave up and changed over to 10 speed Ultegra.
Maybe it's the years on Shimano sti and familiarity, but I found the Rival levers uncomfortable and the "double tap" shifting a bit hit and miss, especially after a few hours in the saddle.
I've got 9 speed 105 on another bike and the difference between Ultegra and 105 is hardly noticeable.
Like I said...personal opinion only.

l4dva

Guru
Ive been using a SRAM Rival on my boardmans for the past month ish - its absolutely brilliant in my opinion, the double tap shifting took about 5 minutes to get used to.

Compared to my old 9 speed shimano tigra group set (which I was really happy with) the rival gear change is quicker and just that little bit more user friendly eg dropping down gears when approaching a hill, you can shift down 3 in one movement of the shifter and then jump up a gear with a short tap of the leaver its brilliant! I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable on the sram hoods to, I didn't like the shimano hoods when used for long periods of time.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
l4dva said:
Ive been using a SRAM Rival on my boardmans for the past month ish - its absolutely brilliant in my opinion, the double tap shifting took about 5 minutes to get used to.

Compared to my old 9 speed shimano tigra group set (which I was really happy with) the rival gear change is quicker and just that little bit more user friendly eg dropping down gears when approaching a hill, you can shift down 3 in one movement of the shifter and then jump up a gear with a short tap of the leaver its brilliant! I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable on the sram hoods to, I didn't like the shimano hoods when used for long periods of time.

+1 - Rival on my Boardman Team Carbon is sooo much better than the 105/tiagra mix I had on the Boardman Comp last year.

Garz

Squat Member
I currently have the 105/tiagra mix amnesia and pondering as I know the stuff is wearing out after a years worth of hammering. Anyone tried out the sram apex or would the 105 groupset be the best value?

shrew

amnesia said:
+1 - Rival on my Boardman Team Carbon is sooo much better than the 105/tiagra mix I had on the Boardman Comp last year.

unfair comparison as Rival to my knowlage isnt supposed to be competing with tiagra/105.

i also had tiagra/105 on my last bike, have ultegra 6700 on the new one, its way nicer and supposed to be :tongue:

Top Bottom